RYZEN 2600, MSI B350M MORTAR ARTIC not posting

hackfederico495

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
A friend has recently bought a ryzen 2600, and a b350m mortar, and 16gb of RAM ddr4 of kingston.
We had read that you can use the cpu withouth updating the bios of the motherboard, and I have seen people doing an unboxing+assembling working with the 2600.

Today we built the computer and it had power, leds were turned on but it didn't post anything to the screen. After that, I read that it was necessary to update the bios using an older ryzen(1st gen), but I insist that some people said that it wasn't necessary to update the bios to use the cpu, and my friend wants to charge me the bios update.

Also I think that his MoBo was broken, because some leds weren't turned on from a point of a pcie port to an upper part.

The questions are:
1) Am I right that the ryzen can run withouth updating the BIOS?
2) If he returns the MoBo , is it suposed to be guaranted so the retailer updates the BIOS for free(or should do)?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English, I'm Spanish.

hackfederico495

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017

I have also searched about the boot kit, but isn't it for 300 motherboard?

The MoBo box should have a 'Ryzen 2000 Ready' sticker on it or don't get it unless the supplier posts it with your 2600 processor.

If you're willing to wait B450 boards will be coming out in a few weeks. The only serious benefit to a B450 is native support for PB2 on the 2600X and 2700X chips. Otherwise B350 does everything the B450 does although there are some intriguing feature improvements coming on some of the new boards: like dual M.2 (only one is PCIe x4) on some of them and wider support for USB 3.1 gen 2.

You have a 300 series motherboard the B350M.