[SOLVED] Ryzen 2600 not thermal throttling?

csukar

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
I have a Ryzen 2600 and a B450 Tomohawk, and I'm using the auto overclock feature with the stock cooler. I've got a new cooler coming today because my computer runs hot, up to around 80 degrees with some games. When I run prime 95 the temp goes even higher. I've looked online and as far as i can tell the max temp before the cpu will throttle or shut down is 95 degrees. I just ran prime 95 because I wanted to compare the temps after I install my new cooler, according to Ryzen master the temprature climbed up to 97 degrees with no sign of throttling so I stopped prime95 straight away.

Does auto overclock disable thermal throttling or is something else going on here? I know my temps will be good once I install a new cooler and put on some decent thermal paste but I would like to know why my computer doesn't throttle, If my cpu fan ever fails it would be nice to know my computer wont kill itself.

Solution
All good mate, it was only showing your max temp, it was probably only that hot for a split second, or only 1 core etc..

If it runs at 100c for a while your motherboard would certainly shut your PC down to prevent damage
Hey there,

Run something like HWMon/Info alongside Prime95 (you should just use the small fft's stress test).

Your temps are running hot because your cooler can't keep up with displacing the heat. When you run HWMon you can judge what kind of throttling you get. It very well maybe that you CPU can run that hot and not throttle, but monitoring it will show you.

Either way, the auto overclock feature will not give an all core OC but mostly the 1-2 cores max.

Your gaming temps at 80c+ are too high. There wouldn't be many games if any that would push a stable CPU to such high temps. My 1600x @3.9 all core OC will rarely go above 65c (that would be playing BF5 for hours).

After you OC you ideally want your temps consistently below 80c with any stress load. Ill use my own CPU as the example again. I can run Prime95 small ffts for 8 hours and my temps will fluctuate between 72-75c.. There is a little creep on temps when using Prime95. It can sometimes take an hour to get to a max temp, as for the first hour the temps increase slowly up a degree or two.

When you get new paste, and new cooler, you'll have much better results.

As far as I'm aware the auto OC feature does not disable throttling. It works on an algorithm that determines your CPU load, thermal headroom and adjusts on the fly.

bishopi5

Distinguished
All good mate, it was only showing your max temp, it was probably only that hot for a split second, or only 1 core etc..

If it runs at 100c for a while your motherboard would certainly shut your PC down to prevent damage

Solution