[SOLVED] Ryzen 2600 or 3500X?

handtuch

Commendable
Jan 24, 2018
it's that time of the year again where i visit this forum to ask stuffs, this time i plan to finally join the ryzen party, but currently stuck between these 2 choices

the initial plan (back in 2018) was to upgrade to ryzen 2600.however in 2019 zen 2 came out and the plan shifted to ryzen 3600, mostly because i swapped my GPU to 2060 Super (i know, it's a mistake). Now in 2020, i'm finally at the breaking point of patience getting bottlenecked by my fx6300.

Unfortunately, the price of 3600 seems to be increasing here in my country due to popularity (~7% price increase this week), making it 57% more expensive than 2600, and since budget is tight, i opt back to 2600

Then i found out that the weird ryzen 3500X is officially available here in my country (SE Asia). it's very attractive, basically being a ryzen 3600 with fewer thread and no SMT. the best thing is it's only a tad more expensive than 2600 (15% more). Benchmarking sites show somewhat better performance in gaming (in 1080p, not sure in 1440p), slightly better PassMark score, higher Cinebench R20 single-core score , and slightly worse R20 Cinebench multi-core scores .

My main point for this upgrade is to match my GPU power for gaming (1440p), but i also do some coding (C, Python, Matlab) for signal processing, general works (offices), and rarely. odd stuffs like video encoding/conversion/compression.

so which one of these you guys recommend? is 3500/X really a legit product, or just defects sent to unimportant markets (as some guy in reddit said)?

thanks!

Solution
My main point for this upgrade is to match my GPU power for gaming (1440p), but i also do some coding (C, Python, Matlab) for signal processing, general works (offices), and rarely. odd stuffs like video encoding/conversion/compression.
Ryzen 5 3500X has 6c/6t and the Ryzen 5 2600 has 6c/12t. By knowing what you're doing, sometimes you need more multi-core performance to do some of your works. So I might suggest you to go with the Ryzen 5 2600 since it has more core and more thread. The good things about the Ryzen 5 3500X is on the single-core, which is good for some gaming performance. But, if you really want better gaming performance, you can go with Ryzen 3 3300X. It really depends on what do you need at the moment. More...

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
Ryzen 5 3500X has 6c/6t and the Ryzen 5 2600 has 6c/12t. By knowing what you're doing, sometimes you need more multi-core performance to do some of your works. So I might suggest you to go with the Ryzen 5 2600 since it has more core and more thread. The good things about the Ryzen 5 3500X is on the single-core, which is good for some gaming performance. But, if you really want better gaming performance, you can go with Ryzen 3 3300X. It really depends on what do you need at the moment. More multi-core performance or single-core performance.

Solution

handtuch

Commendable
Jan 24, 2018
What about the 3300x?

Ryzen 5 3500X has 6c/6t and the Ryzen 5 2600 has 6c/12t. By knowing what you're doing, sometimes you need more multi-core performance to do some of your works. So I might suggest you to go with the Ryzen 5 2600 since it has more core and more thread. The good things about the Ryzen 5 3500X is on the single-core, which is good for some gaming performance. But, if you really want better gaming performance, you can go with Ryzen 3 3300X. It really depends on what do you need at the moment. More multi-core performance or single-core performance.

hmm that is interesting, never bothered to look past below ryzen 5, it seems 3300x is slightly better than 3500x, with slightly (~10$ in USD converted) cheaper price than 3500x and against 2600 it aced in single core but sucks at multicore..

basically somewhat a tie between 3300x and 3500x (with 3300x being slightly better). 2600 is losing but still has a little higher multicore perf.

my concern with 3300x is with its lower core, will that makes it "non-futureproof"? i'm kinda noob with future spec planning

this is confusing haha, amd vs amd, what a time to be alive

Note: maybe giving my gaming habits would help. i mostly play strategy games (both rts & grand strat), RPG-Strategy (bannerlord), management simulation (rimworld), and occasionally RPG (nier, outer worlds, fallout, etc)

Last edited:

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
hmm that is interesting, never bothered to look past below ryzen 5, it seems 3300x is slightly better than 3500x, with slightly (~10$ in USD converted) cheaper price than 3500x and against 2600 it aced in single core but sucks at multicore..

basically somewhat a tie between 3300x and 3500x (with 3300x being slightly better). 2600 is losing but still has a little higher multicore perf.

my concern with 3300x is with its lower core, will that makes it "non-futureproof"? i'm kinda noob with future spec planning

this is confusing haha, amd vs amd, what a time to be alive

Note: maybe giving my gaming habits would help. i mostly play strategy games (both rts & grand strat), RPG-Strategy (bannerlord), management simulation (rimworld), and occasionally RPG (nier, outer worlds, fallout, etc)
For future-proofing, it really depends on for how long will you use that CPU and what kind of games your playing? 4c/4t CPU is basically dead for current released games. But, 4c/8t might be able to handle for about 2 years? Or so? While 6c/6t or higher is more future-proof than the 4c/8t CPU. If you look at the upcoming console, they're hooking up with AMD 8 core CPU and by that it's proven that future games will requires more core and thread.

handtuch

Commendable
Jan 24, 2018
For future-proofing, it really depends on for how long will you use that CPU and what kind of games your playing? 4c/4t CPU is basically dead for current released games. But, 4c/8t might be able to handle for about 2 years? Or so? While 6c/6t or higher is more future-proof than the 4c/8t CPU. If you look at the upcoming console, they're hooking up with AMD 8 core CPU and by that it's proven that future games will requires more core and thread.
hmm they do said more cores will be utilized in the future, and i do plan to match a console spec...

dang, guess that means holding out to save more for 3600..

and probably enticed by 4600 next october.. 😭

Reactions: Rae Nelvin