Question Ryzen 2600 with AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA BIOS?

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Hello.

I've just ordered an upgrade for my PC which looks like this:
CPU: Ryzen 2600 BOX
MB: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 3000 CL15
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC AC Freezer 34 eSports DUO White

I plan to OC as much as I can the CPU and the RAM, I've seen some tutorials for both with the MSI MB, but so far searching the net I could not find an answer to my question: should I update the MB's BIOS to the latest AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA version?

I know I don't need it for Ryzen 2600, but I've seen on the MSI BIOS page that it brings "Improved memory compatibility" (well, the 2 versions before the last). Link > https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR-MAX#down-bios

If someone knows or has done this BIOS update to AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA version on their Ryzen 2000 CPU and is willing to share his knowledge I'd be grateful.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Rule of thumb: always stay up to date 3 weeks after an update.

Newer BIOS updates can have many changes under the hood but i doubt there would be any appreciable change to overclocking
Is there a particular reason why you say 3 weeks period? Is it an arbitrary number or based on experience so that you have enough time to inform yourself about possible issues or performance gains before making the jump?

It is sort of a joke sort of real advice. Whenever a major update to anything be it an operating system a game etc there are good odds that the update broke something and a second update will come within 3 weeks of the first. Hence updating 3 weeks after a major update spares you the double download and experiencing said bug.

BIOS updates are almost entirely stability and compatibility related actual performance gains are rare and small when present unless there was a major issue with the earlier revision.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
It is sort of a joke sort of real advice. Whenever a major update to anything be it an operating system a game etc there are good odds that the update broke something and a second update will come within 3 weeks of the first. Hence updating 3 weeks after a major update spares you the double download and experiencing said bug.

BIOS updates are almost entirely stability and compatibility related actual performance gains are rare and small when present unless there was a major issue with the earlier revision.
I see. Thanks for the clarification and the info.