Ryzen 2600 with x370 MSI won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwizer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I've just assembled my system and I can't get a post.

MOBO: MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON
RAM: 16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill Flare X schwarz DDR4-3200 DIMM CL14-14-14-34 Dual Kit
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6x 3.40GHz
Cooler: Noctua NH-L12
GPU: 6GB MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Armor 6G OCV1 Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 1xDVI / 2xDisplayPort / 2xHDMI (Retail)
M.2 SSD: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo
SSD: 1000GB Crucial MX500 2.5"
Power Supply: CX600M
Case: Antec P183

When I click the power button, the motherboard lights turn on but I can't get video output. Tried remounting cooler. Removing 1 stick ram, no results.

When I hit the power button, the EZ Debug LEDs from the CPU and Ram are on. The ram light goes off almost instantly but the CPU stays on for about a second.

Is this because the Mobo needs a bios update? Would be kind of stupid if the second Gen Ryzen CPUs are not backwards compatible with X370 mobos without having to update the motherboards using a first gen Ryzen first.

The only other thing I can think of is the modular power supply has only 2 cables attached permanently. The main 24 pin connector and the 4+4 pin connector (which has "CPU" written on it) which I plugged into the CPU. However, there is also a "modular" 8 pin connector that sais 4+4 CPU but that doesn't make sense because then I have too many 4 pin CPU connectors so I'm thinking that might be it. The other thing i'm thinking is maybe the heatsink is putting too much pressure on the CPU?

Solution
If you can simply return the X370 board you purchased and get the X470 you perhaps had eyes on, that would be ideal. You would need to check into the return policy of wherever you got your stuff and see if they charge for a restocking fee since it's not defective.

schwizer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Thank you. Helpful. I'm mad at myself because I did several hours of researching including a "what do you guys think about this system" post as well as checking motherboard compatibility page carefully for each component. The 2600 was listed there. Would have been useful to have some kind of asterix in the compatibility table with a "FYI, this one WONT BOOT" lol. Should have bought a X470 but I really thought I could save $100 on the mobo by going with last gen top of the line and not lose any critical features.

If you can simply return the X370 board you purchased and get the X470 you perhaps had eyes on, that would be ideal. You would need to check into the return policy of wherever you got your stuff and see if they charge for a restocking fee since it's not defective.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.