[SOLVED] Ryzen 2600X 60C Idle, 90-100C Stress testing

thealextgm

Commendable
Oct 4, 2017
Just upgraded from intel-4590 to ryzen 2600x and msi b450 tomahawk, idle temps and stress temps are very high, i updated the bios, checked if cpu cooler is installed, its not loose, took some screenshots of ryzenmaster and task manager if that helps :) Im using NZXT h500 without the case fans. Is this normal or i just need to install case fans or a new cpu cooler?
ISwYPrY.png

Solution
i think it's normal, i wouldn't worry about it especially if you use the stock cooler. i just built a new pc with r5 3600 with stock wraith stealth cooler and my temp is about the same as op. idle at around 45c and easily go 50c-60c with light load. can achieve up to 93C when stress testing via cinebench r20 and aida64. mind you, i live in a hot country so i'm not surprised with the number i'm seeing. i think the best solution is to just use a custom cooler, i'm sure it will knock down 10C-15C easily. i have a hyper 212 in my last pc and it never go above 70C even when stress testing.

thealextgm

Commendable
Oct 4, 2017
That is very hot, are you sure you mounted the CPU cooler correctly?

How about stress testers? Which one are you using?
Im using AIDA64, and yes im sure that i mounted cpu cooler correctly. When i installed the cooler first time i saw the temps and watched some videos how to install it, so i reinstalled the cpu cooler with different thermal paste, and its the same temps. Is Airflow ok for h500 with no fans?

thealextgm

Commendable
Oct 4, 2017
Ok good...

H500 with no fans on the chassis at all? Yeah that can cause some heat soak in the case. I would put two fans in there (preferably on the rear of the case and top, so you create negative pressure which is the best performing airflow config).
What case fans should i buy pwm or dc, i was looking for queit fans and found bequeit purewings 2, are there any better fans for a normal price ? And will the fans fix the overheating?

thealextgm

Commendable
Oct 4, 2017
Ok good...

H500 with no fans on the chassis at all? Yeah that can cause some heat soak in the case. I would put two fans in there (preferably on the rear of the case and top, so you create negative pressure which is the best performing airflow config).
When i remove my case's glass window, the temps dont change is that ok if there were airflow isues atleast the temps would slightly change.

youngevans

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Just upgraded from intel-4590 to ryzen 2600x and msi b450 tomahawk, idle temps and stress temps are very high, i updated the bios, checked if cpu cooler is installed, its not loose, took some screenshots of ryzenmaster and task manager if that helps :) Im using NZXT h500 without the case fans. Is this normal or i just need to install case fans or a new cpu cooler?
ISwYPrY.png
You didnt mention the CPU cooler you are using but 60 degrees Celsius idle is pretty high, 90 - 100 degrees on stress testing without overclock is again pretty high, but the CPU can reach those levels after sometime in stress testing when overclocked. It is possible there's not enough thermal compound on the CPU or the cooler fan and or pump is not working. Again it is possible the cpu cooler connector has been inserted in a wrong connector. Check these things and try resetting to factory settings in the bios maybe a setting is causing this issue.

Last edited:

thealextgm

Commendable
Oct 4, 2017
You didnt mention the CPU cooler you are using but 60 degrees Celsius idle is pretty high, 90 - 100 degrees on stress testing without overclock is again pretty high, but the CPU can reach those levels after sometime in stress testing when overclocked. It is possible there's not enough thermal compound on the CPU or the cooler fan and or pump is not working. Again it is possible the cpu cooler connector has been inserted in a wrong converter. Check these things and try resetting to factory settings in the bios maybe a setting is causing this issue.
Stock cooler the cpu cooler connector is inserted into the cpu fan slot near the ram slots, i've reset the bios back to default multiple times im running currently on default settings, i dont think the problem is with the airflow, when i open the case glass window open the temps remain the same, maybe its something with the cooler?

youngevans

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Stock cooler the cpu cooler connector is inserted into the cpu fan slot near the ram slots, i've reset the bios back to default multiple times im running currently on default settings, i dont think the problem is with the airflow, when i open the case glass window open the temps remain the same, maybe its something with the cooler?

Usually stock coolers have very little cooling potentials. I suggest you install an aftermarket cooler to ascertain the problem. Some air coolers like Hyper Evo series, and AIO liquid coolers from Lepa is cheap but very efficient. If you install a highly efficient aftermarket cooler and the temps does not reduce significantly, then most likely you may be unlucky with the silicon lottery...you have a bad chip 😥 or the motherboard is simply supplying too much voltages to the CPU causing it to overheat, this is less likey under default settings though.

Last edited by a moderator:

youngevans

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
True, but the Wraith Spire is a good CPU cooler. His CPU shouldn't be getting THAT hot with it.

OP, I would recommend going into the BIOS and setting everything to their default state. Then test again and see if temps drop or not. Could be the motherboard overvolting the chip too much.
He said he has set default settings a couple of times but to no avail.

thealextgm

Commendable
Oct 4, 2017
True, but the Wraith Spire is a good CPU cooler. His CPU shouldn't be getting THAT hot with it.

OP, I would recommend going into the BIOS and setting everything to their default state. Then test again and see if temps drop or not. Could be the motherboard overvolting the chip too much.

The case glass panel was open to make sure that there's enough airflow.
Bios restored to default:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOtm13Sg3HY&feature=youtu.be

Cpu fan speed set to 100%: View: https://i.imgur.com/VKTovtN.png

harry218

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
i think it's normal, i wouldn't worry about it especially if you use the stock cooler. i just built a new pc with r5 3600 with stock wraith stealth cooler and my temp is about the same as op. idle at around 45c and easily go 50c-60c with light load. can achieve up to 93C when stress testing via cinebench r20 and aida64. mind you, i live in a hot country so i'm not surprised with the number i'm seeing. i think the best solution is to just use a custom cooler, i'm sure it will knock down 10C-15C easily. i have a hyper 212 in my last pc and it never go above 70C even when stress testing.

Solution

thealextgm

Commendable
Oct 4, 2017
Last edited: