Question Ryzen 2600x always runs at 4.05 ghz?

Jan 5, 2020
Hey all,
About 4 months ago I upgraded from an Intel i5 4690 to an AMD Ryzen 5 2600x and recently I noticed that in task manager, HW monitor etc the CPU is showing that is running at a constant 4.05ghz on idle while my old i5 would downclock at 800mhz or something like that on idle. Im using AMD balanced power mode and minimum CPU i put it at 5% and still is running at 4.05ghz. Is that a normal thing?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Did you perform a full, clean install of Windows when you switched your hardware? Or, did you recycle the previous installation?

Do you have any applications running in the background using the CPU to keep the load high?

What is your CPU temperature at idle and under load?

Do you have Ryzen Master and the latest AMD chipset drivers installed?

Jan 5, 2020
Did you perform a full, clean install of Windows when you switched your hardware? Or, did you recycle the previous installation?

Do you have any applications running in the background using the CPU to keep the load high?

What is your CPU temperature at idle and under load?

Do you have Ryzen Master and the latest AMD chipset drivers installed?
I did a brand new installation of Windows and didnt restore any back ups. CPU seems to hover around 1-2% while doing nothing. No discord, no game launchers open, just logitech ghub, icue.
On idle the temps are about 30-35C
I have ryzen master (no idea whatsoever how to use it) and i do have AMD chipset drivers

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I did a brand new installation of Windows and didnt restore any back ups. CPU seems to hover around 1-2% while doing nothing. No discord, no game launchers open, just logitech ghub, icue.
On idle the temps are about 30-35C
I have ryzen master (no idea whatsoever how to use it) and i do have AMD chipset drivers
Does Ryzen Master show the CPU speed staying high as you indicated earlier?

Jan 5, 2020
Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers installed:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

Also, make sure you have the most up to date BIOS installed for your motherboard (what make/model is it?).
Seems like I fixed it. Looks like I had the CPU in constant game boost mode or something through bios. I reset to default and everything works just fine. I switched power plan to balanced and seems to be downclocking to 2.1 when doing nothing. Thanks for all your help