[SOLVED] ryzen 2600x temp control

Lucilius

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
Hello all,
I just built a pc this past weekend with a ryzen 2600x and an AsRock B450M Pro 4. I am seeing idle temps of around 50 degrees celsius. That dosen't seem normal to me. My computer at work (with an i7 4790) is running at below 35 degrees at idle. For context, on my new build I am running on old gpu (gtx 760 2gb), 2 ssds, 2x8gb of ram (I enabled xmp in bios and they are running at 3200) in a Rosewill FBM-X2 case with one 120mm fan at the back.
  1. What do you recommend generally besides pulling the cooler off and re-applying thermal paste?
  2. What should a good temp for this machine be? Just my own feeling is that I should be aiming to keep temps below 70 degrees celsius at all times. Any tips on achieving this?
  3. I realize I need to buy more fans. My case can support another 2 fans at the front and 2 at the top besides the 1 rear fan already installed. After some research I thought it would be good to achieve positive pressure inside the case. For this I need at least one fan at the front with high CFM. Am I correct about that? I was looking at getting this one https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-rfa-120-k-case-fan/p/N82E16835200048 and mounting it at the front of the case. Does that seems like a good idea?

Solution
LinusTechTips had a video about the new Ryzen CPUs... He tested the thermals with a Corsair H115i rad (a 280mm AIO)... The 3900X idle temp was about 32-33 degrees which seems pretty cool. The sustained temp under load was 87 degrees and peak temp was about 89 degrees. That is still getting up there. So the 3900X is pretty intense on thermals...

You can watch it here...

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
If it was me I would do the following -

Check Windows Power Plan is set to Balanced, if no improvement then re-seat the cooler using the proper method, with decent quality thermal paste.

I would think 40c is about normal idle temperature as my previous Ryzen 2700x was around this.
For gaming it never went above 72c with PBO enabled.

Andy

Lucilius

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
If it was me I would do the following -

Check Windows Power Plan is set to Balanced, if no improvement then re-seat the cooler using the proper method, with decent quality thermal paste.

I would think 40c is about normal idle temperature as my previous Ryzen 2700x was around this.
For gaming it never went above 72c with PBO enabled.

Andy
I am getting 40 to 50 at idle and around 95 running aida64. I doesn't look good to me. I've gotten to 100c running prime95 and stopped it right away. I reseated the cpu cooler and applied new thermal paste. It doesn't seem to have made a difference

I am getting 40 to 50 at idle and around 95 running aida64. It doesn't look good to me. I've gotten to 100c running prime95 and stopped it right away. I reseated the CPU cooler and applied new thermal paste. It doesn't seem to have made a difference

Are you using the stock cooler?
How are room temps and humidity?
Is the CPU overclocked?

To answer your question, your idle temps should range between 30C and 45C. Adding more fans will definitely help. 1 is not enough as there is not enough air flowing in and out of the case.

You don't really need high-end fans; the difference between cheap and high-end fans usually amounts to less than 5C in temp differences (when populating all 5). So keep this in mind as you chose.

However, the difference between 1 fan and 5 is quite huge as this translates from barely having any airflow to actually have airflow.

The ones you picked will do the job just fine. If you're looking for something a bit higher end I would suggest looking at the PureWings and SilentWings by BeQuiet! since I'm assuming this is a work build and silence is an important criteria for that.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I have a 3900X that runs about 50 degrees as well and ramps up to 95 degrees under load. My case has four fans already. I noticed that the VID is always around 1.375 volts no matter what the load is. That is not normal. When under load, the CPU jumps from 3.8 GHZ to 4.5 GHz. That's when the CPU fans roars to 3000 rpm. I really think the X570 motherboards run hot. I updated the chip set drivers and that did not seem to help.

My workaround is to limit the processor state to 99% under balanced power mode. The voltage dropped to 1.1 and the CPU idles at 45-50 degrees and peaks at 75-80 degrees. The CPU is capped at 3.72 GHz using the 99% method as it won't go into turbo mode. I ordered a Corsair H115i AIO rad and am awaiting delivery. See what happens then.

Lucilius

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
I have a 3900X that runs about 50 degrees as well and ramps up to 95 degrees under load. My case has four fans already. I noticed that the VID is always around 1.375 volts no matter what the load is. That is not normal. When under load, the CPU jumps from 3.8 GHZ to 4.5 GHz. That's when the CPU fans roars to 3000 rpm. I really think the X570 motherboards run hot. I updated the chip set drivers and that did not seem to help.

My workaround is to limit the processor state to 99% under balanced power mode. The voltage dropped to 1.1 and the CPU idles at 45-50 degrees and peaks at 75-80 degrees. The CPU is capped at 3.72 GHz using the 99% method as it won't go into turbo mode. I ordered a Corsair H115i AIO rad and am awaiting delivery. See what happens then.
That was a good tip to change the cpu load under power options. I set it to 90% and even prime95 couldn't get the cpu above 60c. Strangely, so far that has been the best way to manage temps. Most other things I've tried can't seem to control temps properly. I'm not too happy with the out of the box results. Like yours, my cpu goes up to 1.4v and just under 4.2ghz in ryzen master under default conditions and if i run prime 95 i get 100c in like 5 minutes. Those are some freaking aggressive default values. I tried setting it to 1.185v and 3.8ghz to see if I can control those temps but prime95 still gets into the 90s and if I leave it too long it gets to nearly 100c. Not too happy about that. The cpu is advertised as 3.6 base and up to 4.2. Most people online say it should be no problem to hit 4 but based on my experiences hitting 4 without an aftermarket cooler that's at least 50 bucks is risking high temps and with the stock cooler I'm having issues hitting 3.8 without risking overheating.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
LinusTechTips had a video about the new Ryzen CPUs... He tested the thermals with a Corsair H115i rad (a 280mm AIO)... The 3900X idle temp was about 32-33 degrees which seems pretty cool. The sustained temp under load was 87 degrees and peak temp was about 89 degrees. That is still getting up there. So the 3900X is pretty intense on thermals...

You can watch it here...

Solution