Question Ryzen 2700 + Asus crosshair vii hero + corsair VS650(grey)

May 24, 2019
So recently i bought a corsair VS650(grey) a month before,im totally afraid now that will it be sufficient for my new build or will the vs650 fry any components?? Please help
Btw im coming from fx4300
Components:CPU - Ryzen 2700
MB - Asus crosshair vii hero
Ram - not yet purchased
Graphics card - gtx 1660ti
PSU - Corsair VS650 (grey)

The VS units, aren't the best, nor are they the worst. Most people don't recommend them because they are considered budget option and don't use the best components. They also (anecdotally) seem to have high rate of failure!

From the point of view of, is 650w enough for your system? Yes, it's fine. Is the PSU new? Or second hand? If new I wouldn't worry to much, just don't go OC'ing any of your components (CPU/GPU) like crazy. I'd consider getting something better for my rig, but it's different for everyone.

A good PSU like this will be a much better option and will last you into a new build:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ B&H)
Total: $79.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-24 06:16 EDT-0400

So recently i bought a corsair VS650(grey) a month before,im totally afraid now that will it be sufficient for my new build or will the vs650 fry any components?? Please help
Btw im coming from fx4300
Components:CPU - Ryzen 2700
MB - Asus crosshair vii hero
Ram - not yet purchased
Graphics card - gtx 1660ti
PSU - Corsair VS650 (grey)
Your system would easily run on 550 watts as well. As mentioned above, it's a mediocre PSU, nothing special at all.

Reactions: Goutham raj
May 24, 2019
okay ,i will buy one within few months,until that can i use this psu on my new build ryzen 2700 and asus CH vii hero combo.
the vs650(grey) wont damage any components or trip ?
and this vs650 which i have is a new grey one not the orange one, will it last for few yrs ? as i cant return now so 😕
Note: i will buy another 550w or 600w psu with comes under better tier.

May 24, 2019
The VS units, aren't the best, nor are they the worst. Most people don't recommend them because they are considered budget option and don't use the best components. They also (anecdotally) seem to have high rate of failure!

From the point of view of, is 650w enough for your system? Yes, it's fine. Is the PSU new? Or second hand? If new I wouldn't worry to much, just don't go OC'ing any of your components (CPU/GPU) like crazy. I'd consider getting something better for my rig, but it's different for everyone.

A good PSU like this will be a much better option and will last you into a new build:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ B&H)
Total: $79.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-24 06:16 EDT-0400
yes the psu vs650 is a new one ,bought on last month ..after doing my research got to know that vs series are not so good...considering the fact i cant return it ( this is the main probelm)
so can i stick with it untill i get new one ,it wont damage any component ?

yes the psu vs650 is a new one ,bought on last month ..after doing my research got to know that vs series are not so good...considering the fact i cant return it ( this is the main probelm)
so can i stick with it untill i get new one ,it wont damage any component ?

Yes, you will be fine. As long as your not insane OC'ing you should have no trouble. The warranty on the VS is 3 years I think. You could run your system fine for a year or two, and if you have a few extra quid, get a better quality PSU then.

Good luck and happy gaming:)

May 24, 2019
Yes, you will be fine. As long as your not insane OC'ing you should have no trouble. The warranty on the VS is 3 years I think. You could run your system fine for a year or two, and if you have a few extra quid, get a better quality PSU then.

Good luck and happy gaming:)
okay then will get psu within this week ,heard that a bad psu will degrade hdd very fast is it true or will degrade all the other parts and performance

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
ohhh okay ,thank you ..are the corsair cx series and evga gq series better ??

The CX and GQ series are better than the new VS, but if you're going to upgrade, I'd be more ambitious and look at Corsair RMx, EVGA G2/G3/GS/P2/T2, SeaSonic Focus, and other higher-end PSUs given the quality of your components.

It's fortunate that this is the newer VS. It's still certainly a mediocre PSU, but that's far better than the older versions.

May 24, 2019
The CX and GQ series are better than the new VS, but if you're going to upgrade, I'd be more ambitious and look at Corsair RMx, EVGA G2/G3/GS/P2/T2, SeaSonic Focus, and other higher-end PSUs given the quality of your components.

It's fortunate that this is the newer VS. It's still certainly a mediocre PSU, but that's far better than the older versions.
thank you for the info ,will purchase evga g2 or corsair rmx

May 24, 2019
Yes, Good Quality electric is what you need to keep everything stable.
Many threads on this forum with people and weak PSU's causing blue screens of death and sudden power loss.
Always buy the best you can afford, and the PSU is normally around the same price - $70 minumum
As im from india ,here the psu prices are always at peak.
Sometimes they will give a very less discount which is like 5 percent.Anyhow i will get a new one with better quality for sure

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
As im from india ,here the psu prices are always at peak.
Sometimes they will give a very less discount which is like 5 percent.Anyhow i will get a new one with better quality for sure

Yeah, it stinks that you guys have to pay more for the same prices we have here, but look at it this way: the power delivery can also be an issue in certain parts of India, so you'd also get more value from a higher-end PSU than someone here (at least someone who is a developed area).

May 24, 2019
Yeah, it stinks that you guys have to pay more for the same prices we have here, but look at it this way: the power delivery can also be an issue in certain parts of India, so you'd also get more value from a higher-end PSU than someone here (at least someone who is a developed area).
Fair enough,but i can push for a year or two wth this psu if I don't do extreme overclocking etc etc.