[SOLVED] Ryzen 2700 vs 2700x?

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
I have a 2700 sitting here, along with an MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB RGB 3200 (2x16GB).

I'm wondering if I should have got a 2700x instead (still time to swap it out).

I know the TDP difference of 65W (2700) vs 95 W (2700x), but from what I read the mobo can handle either.

What exactly would the performance difference be?

*No gaming here- video streaming, recording/editing, CAD and 3D printing.

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Well I posted on here about it and I think the consensus was something like since I'm not gaming, but video streaming, editing, CAD and 3D Printing there wasn't much benefit for the cost difference.

It sounds like you already found your answer.

My 2 cents worth is that, the 2700 and 2700x chips are the same, other than the binning and pre-ordained clock speed differences. The upgrade in cooler is relevant if you plan to go with the stock cooler. My personal preference leans toward ease of use, rather than tinkering with my hardware for the sake of machismo, so I opt for the X CPU. The most efficient clocking the chip will achieve is already done on the X models, unless you just have to hit higher all-core boost speeds, but there is no way you're getting all the way there on the stock cooler.

Achieving best performance with a 2700 is going to require manual tuning, which is never guaranteed.

Your board should handle anything a 2700x will do, unless you decide to tinker with clock speeds and voltages to an excess, and have an unusual lack of cooling in the VRM department.

Reactions: TimH77

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Dumb question- can't I select an answer to my post? I've done it before but hit the button by mistake and can't figure out what I tapped.

I did see something before saying 'the red icon' but I see nothing and have tried everything (but I guess not since I'm asking :p ).

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Are you sure? I bought a bluetooth headset and got a 2 year warranty. I had to get it replaced and was told it ran concurrent with the manufacturers warranty, so it was like one additional year.

Mar 16, 2019
If you go to NewEgg and pick a CPU then look at the add on warranty specs under the warranty tab (overview, specifications, warranty and returns, reviews tabs halfway or less down the product page) it will give the details of when the add on takes effect. Same with the add on brand on ebay.

I don't understand buying an add on warranty that runs concurrent (at the same time) as the man.'s warranty. I also don't understand a company selling a product (warranty) under those conditions.

Last edited:

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
This was about 4 years ago now, but it may be different or it could be because of the type of product (physical damage, etc). *see below

What I paid for, just like what popped up for the CPU, was a 2 year warranty (through Ebay).

6 months after purchasing it I had to have it replaced and they told me it wasn't-
1 year factory warranty +
2 years SquareTrade warranty
(3 years total)

It was the first year of the Squaretrade warranty was the same as the manufacturers warranty period.

Trust me, I argued the same point about the warranty not applying until after the manufacturers warranty (the headset was clearly covered under manufacturer warranty, it wasn't connecting to USB). If the CPU is the is 3 +3 that's great. I'll call SquareTrade to be sure.

*You'd think common sense says it would only apply after the manufacturers warranty (if your issue is a standard, manufacturer's defect), but it isn't always the case. It's the same thing at Walmart- runs concurrent... but covers physical damage where the manufacturer's warranty doesn't.

The CPU could be damaged during install (bent pins...or actually dropped and stepped on), and I'm sure the manufacturer wouldn't cover it when the Squaretrade warranty would . It all depends on the type of warranty- i.e. covering physical damage vs extending the manufacturer's warranty. There is a difference and companies can be sneaky. :p

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019
The text below is from NewEgg. Indicates coverage starts after Man. Warranty ends.

CPU Protection Plan Mechanical/Electrical failures after the manufacturer’s warranty expires.
5-day service guarantee and free shipping both ways.
Zero hassle claim service, available online 24/7.

BUT,
If you go to SquareDeal.com, 30 or so major retailers have their own rules in .pdf files.
If you go to the /coverage page you get this. (excerpt from page)

Standard Plan

Like all protection plans, SquareTrade coverage begins immediately after the manufacturer’s warranty expires (there is no gap in coverage).

Plans with Accident Protection

Like Standard Plans, coverage for mechanical and electrical failures begins after the manufacturer’s warranty expires. Accident damage is covered by SquareTrade from the day you purchased your plan.

On top of that it appears (I haven't compared the store's individual .pdf's yet) that Square Trade's policy could differ from store to store.

My apologies for questioning what you were saying.
I sit to be corrected.

michael clyde

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
No worries Michael! :) I think companies sometimes leave things confusing (or let you think one way when it's really another) on purpose, astral their goal is to make profit. :p

Thanks for posting that info!