Question Ryzen 2700x already hits ~75°C whilst playing battlefield V, is there any room for an overclock?

Cameron6399

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Hi,

So I want to overclock my Ryzen 7 2700x but its already getting pretty hot. My cooler is a Corsair H115i pro. By how much will the temperature increase?
Also, should I worry about this temperature as is?

DavidM012

Distinguished
What are the temps? It will start to throttle around 75c and it's recommended not to exceed or really go near the limit of 95c. You're h115i should be more than enough for Ryzen, what chassis are you using? You may benefit from additional intake and exhaust fans. Also you could add a fan to huff on the board vrm heat sink to replace airflow lost from an air cooler when utilising an aio closed loop. What mobo?

Pump rpm in bios? Hopefully it's still spinning. Some aio's don't really give any external indication of whether the pump is spinning as they are silent and don't always make a vibration so the only way to tell is the rpm reported in the bios. Aside from temps. being unusually warm. Also check to ensure that the cooler is correctly fitted with good contact to the cpu with thermal paste applied.

PWM fans, all running at a good speed?

Temperatures at the CPU die can reach higher than normal depending on your Core Voltage.
Your temps with a H115i under full load and vcore at 1.4V + would get to 75C or more.
Try dropping vcore to 1.250V and see if your system boots.(at stock frequency) If not then raise vcore in .01v steps till it does boot.
Each increase in vcore has an exponential heat output so keeping it as low as possible and stable is the way to go.

My 2700x and a H110i when under full load gets to 70C with vcore set at 1.375V and 4.2GHz OC.
You should have headroom depending ofc on your case air flow and ambient temps.

Reactions: DMAN999

DavidM012

Distinguished
Count Mike usually says there's no need to overclock a 2700x the 10% doesn't make a significant impact & there's nowhere more to go with it and nothing significant to be gained from it. If your vCore is too high, yes that could also cause higher than normal temps guess the h-series aren't absolute overkill cooling in any conditions but, sorting out the temps will stop any throttling you may be experiencing.

Cameron6399

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
What are the temps? It will start to throttle around 75c and it's recommended not to exceed or really go near the limit of 95c. You're h115i should be more than enough for Ryzen, what chassis are you using? You may benefit from additional intake and exhaust fans. Also you could add a fan to huff on the board vrm heat sink to replace airflow lost from an air cooler when utilising an aio closed loop. What mobo?

Pump rpm in bios? Hopefully it's still spinning. Some aio's don't really give any external indication of whether the pump is spinning as they are silent and don't always make a vibration so the only way to tell is the rpm reported in the bios. Aside from temps. being unusually warm. Also check to ensure that the cooler is correctly fitted with good contact to the cpu with thermal paste applied.

PWM fans, all running at a good speed?
So I've looked more into it, I was using speccy for temps, apparently nothing but Ryzen master gives accurate temps. So according to Ryzen master, it reaches around 60°C, 65°C max. I set both fans to "extreme" in iCue aswell, previously they were on "quiet". Though whilst idle it is around 32-37°C, is that not quite high?

As for your other questions, I have a Phanteks Eclipse p400s with the AIO rad on the front panel and 2 fans on top and 1 on the back. And my motherboard is the Asus prime x470 pro.

TRENDING THREADS