Ryzen 2700x + GTX 980, will it bottleneck?

Oct 18, 2018
Hello, good people on the internet.

I'm looking to upgrade my pc soon to a Ryzen 7 2700x with a x470 aorus 7 board and a 16gb kit ram, but I don't think I can upgrade my GPU anytime soon, which is a gtx 980.

Question is, will my graphics card bottleneck the 2700x?
At the moment I run an old i5 4670k, z87 board and an 8 GB kit ram.

Thank you

Solution
Yeah, it depends on your usage and software, many lazy software still only cares about single core. Intel is better choice for those. However, the ideal I9-9900k is 500 bucks... 2700X is much better bang for the money then. For motherboard, I will drop that Aorus one, many GA MB’s were reported hot, not sure about this one. Taichi is one of my favorite, but it is up to you. Get 2x16 gb ram too if you will get into 4K editing in the future. A good sized
Ssd is strongly recommended if you don’t have yet.
good pair for 1080p gaming
why do you want to upgrade? Unless you want to do some productivity work, you don't need to get an upgrade considering cost for a new CPU/MB/DDR 4 combo.
I5 4670k is still pretty viable with 980 at 1080p.
What is your major usage?
If high fps gaming only, I would rather get a better GPU like 1070ti or 1080 and a 1080p 144hz monitor.

Oct 18, 2018

I do game on a 1080p res, but mainly for work on adobe lightroom and sony vegas. And I feel my current system is burdened by those programs. But yea, I do game a bit.

For Adobe lightroom, it favors Intel chips for faster single core
Vegas also prefers chip with IGPU which 2700X does not.
I will vote for 8th gen/9th gen Intel chip for your usage.
What is your total budget for upgrading? Can you list the rest of your current rig?

Oct 18, 2018

current rig
- i5 4670k
- z87 Asrock extreme 6
- corsair dominator platinum 2x4gb cl8
- inno3d ichil gtx 980
- seasonic 760w platinum
- h100i cooler

Budget for upgrading currently around usd 900

I was an amd phenom x4 user few years back, and had the intel ivy bridge and this haswell which was build only for games in mind. after that. i figure to want to try amd again. although not dead set on particular brand.
I heard good things about how ryzen perform for work, thats why i thought this will be a good idea. But did not know about which cpu favors what software. So yeah, that and will using it for games at 1080p.

thank you for replying btw =)

Yeah, it depends on your usage and software, many lazy software still only cares about single core. Intel is better choice for those. However, the ideal I9-9900k is 500 bucks... 2700X is much better bang for the money then. For motherboard, I will drop that Aorus one, many GA MB’s were reported hot, not sure about this one. Taichi is one of my favorite, but it is up to you. Get 2x16 gb ram too if you will get into 4K editing in the future. A good sized
Ssd is strongly recommended if you don’t have yet.

Solution
Oct 18, 2018

Thanks for the insight!. I didn't know 9th gen was about to come out. I'm gonna wait for that now before making up my mind. Although might not get the i9 9900k since its about 900 usd for pre-order here in my country. Probably will look at the i7 9700k as a contender.
Good thing I ask here first before doing any purchasing. I didnt know about that adobe and intel situation, and i didnt know about 9 series intel gonna be out soon. so, thanks!