Ryzen 2700x high temps, some paste on the pins

luc4m4rio

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
So, my first gaming build, GTX 1070ti, Ryzen 7 2700x, 16 gb ram GSkill Trident Z RGB, SSD, HDD etc. Basically the parts came, I've built it and since the new mobo (asus rog strix b350-f gaming) BIOS' version was outdated I had to send it back for an update. That meant that I had to take the CPU off it. Now, retarded me took it out of the socket to wipe it with a kitchen towel and while doing so I got some paste on my fingers without noticing and some slipped on my pins -_-. Now, 2 days in a row (while the mobo was getting an update) I cleaned it with a soft toothbrush and a even smaller one (one I got from the nearest pharmacy, it's used for cleaning between the teeth and for braces). I managed to get it off but the pins seemed colored with a brownish-cooper color from the paste ( the exact color of it ), which is 3 years old. I said damn it
after I cleaned it enough, I thought it would be ok. It boots and everything. Now the temps while gaming are very high. When gaming Rainbow Six Siege the CPU gets up to 78c celsius and that is very corncerning for me. I've ordered new paste ( arctic silver 5 ) to replace the old one since it's old. Also about the pins I'd like to "wash" the off with some alcohol, the highest I got is 70% alc, is it safe to do it with a soaked toothbrush? I cant get more than that since my country doesnt sell alcohol and this I got from another country. Thanks in advance! Any tips or anything helpful is welcome!

p.s: The CPU is on auto in the Ryzen Software and I didnt do anything in the BIOS. Using the stock prism wraith cooler!

Solution
As an asthmatic myself I would not even suggest using a strong solvent like contact cleaner anywhere near to your brother, I'm sure you're all too well aware just how deadly asthma can be, so no, don't even consider using it.

I'm not sure what types of alcohol are banned/hard to find in your country but medical rubbing alcohol may be available through a pharmacy while both isopropyl alcohol and isopropanol are widely used as industrial solvents and cleaning compounds, both are safe and suitable.
As with the cleaner, put as much as you like on and ( gently ;) ) brush the pins clean, but be aware it will take longer to evaporate, so leave the CPU for about 20 minuets to fully dry out before reinstalling it.

I'm going to take a risk...
You were lucky not to have bent any of the pins, they're very delicate.
Use electrical contact cleaner, most car parts and accessory shops sell it, just spray it on and let it evaporate. Don't worry about getting too much on, it will just run off or evaporate.

Points to be careful of:
The stuff is strong solvent, use it outside or in a VERY well ventilated room.
If you or a household member has asthma or any breathing difficulty, DON'T use it!
Wear some sort of eye protection, even if it is just normal glasses and wear waterproof gloves-especially wear gloves if you have sensitive skin or a skin condition like eczema.
Spray onto the pin side of the CPU and hold it upright so the fluid can drain easily away.

you are the master. awesome answer I do believe that stuff should not be breathed for sure

hendrickhere

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
I don't THINK that 78c is all that high when at full-load gaming. I could be wrong. I don't think you're in trouble before like high 90c and even then it could be OK for short periods of time.

The Wraith Prism is a pretty good cooler TBH, but the final temperature will depend on ambient; Here in rapidly cooling England my 2700X will hit <>67C under sustained gaming load.
One point to check is that the software you're using reads correctly, AMD uses two numbers; Tctl and Tdie, some monitoring software incorrectly uses the Tctl reading, which includes a certain amount of ' offset ', with the 2700X that offset is 10C, meaning Tctl is 10C higher than Tdie. Ryzen Master reports the Tdie temperature as and HWinfo64 reports both.

luc4m4rio

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

My little brother has asthma, and we live in a apartment. Is it that dangerous? Is that the only way? I got some normal WD-40, would that work or do I need something special as I dont really know what I should be looking for. Cant I use the alcohol I gotl?

luc4m4rio

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

Im using HWMonitor and RivaTuner to check the temps. Have checked them both simultaneously and the difference is about 1-2c between the programs. Also checked with the Ryzen Master software.

As an asthmatic myself I would not even suggest using a strong solvent like contact cleaner anywhere near to your brother, I'm sure you're all too well aware just how deadly asthma can be, so no, don't even consider using it.

I'm not sure what types of alcohol are banned/hard to find in your country but medical rubbing alcohol may be available through a pharmacy while both isopropyl alcohol and isopropanol are widely used as industrial solvents and cleaning compounds, both are safe and suitable.
As with the cleaner, put as much as you like on and ( gently ;) ) brush the pins clean, but be aware it will take longer to evaporate, so leave the CPU for about 20 minuets to fully dry out before reinstalling it.

I'm going to take a risk here and say that ( based on the difficulty of obtaining alcohol ) you live in a strict Muslim country, if so, make sure other people know why you have the stuff and what you will do with it, to avoid possible conflicts and arguments later.

Solution

luc4m4rio

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

Thank you for your response! I actually live in Germany, Bayern. In my small city pharmacies dont sell alocohol from what I know but I believe that I might have found one just outside the city. If not then I'll use the 70% and wait around 30min like you said. Again, thank you very much for the help! It's my first build and I really wanna make it perfect, so I hope I'll be able to overcome this issue :D