ryzen 2700x-msi b450m mortar not using half of installed ram, motherboard/ram or compatibility?

Jan 5, 2019
hello everyone

just put together my first ryzen build (all brand new parts) and i am having trouble with half my ram not being usable. i installed a quad kit of trident z 32gb (4*8) in an msi b450m mortar, both the bios and windows recognize the modules in all the slots, but only show half as being available physical memory (16gb).

i tried all memory modules in slots DIMMa1-DIMMa2 and they work fine. but any modules placed in DIMMb1-DIMMb2 can be recognized but not used. if i install 2 modules in DIMMa1-DIMMb1 as recommended only 8gb can be used. if i only install modules in DIMMb1-DIMMb2 the system does not boot (i do not know if this is normal or not)

I spent hours troubleshooting, everything is up to date (windows/bios) and double checked that all components are installed correctly.
everything seems to be working except for the available memory, memory speed (locked at 2133mhz) and high cpu voltage (1.4-1.5v), anytime i lower voltage under 1.375 or change the memory speed the system does not boot.

Is this a result of a defective mobo, compatibility issue with the RAM or am i missing something else in the settings

anyone else running 32gb ram on an msi b450m mortar? if so please share

system specs:
cpu: ryzen 2700x
mobo: msi b450m mortar
RAM: g.skill 32gb f4-3000c15q-32GTZR (quad kit)
storage: samsung 970evo nvme- samsung 1tb 860 evo
gpu: asus strix rtx 2080
cpu cooler: kraken x52
case: nzxt h400

Jan 5, 2019
MERGED QUESTION
Question from e.belle : "ryzen 2700x-msi b450m mortar not using half of installed ram, motherboard/ram or compatibility?"

hello everyone
just put together my first ryzen build (all brand new parts) and i am having trouble with half my ram not being usable. i installed a quad kit of trident z 32gb (4*8) in an msi b450m mortar, both the bios and windows recognize the modules in all the slots, but only show half as being available physical memory (16gb).

i tried all memory modules in slots DIMMa1-DIMMa2 and they work fine. but any modules placed in DIMMb1-DIMMb2 can be recognized but not used. if i install 2 modules in DIMMa1-DIMMb1 as recommended only 8gb can be used. if i only install modules in DIMMb1-DIMMb2 the system does not boot (i do not know if this is normal or not)

I spent hours troubleshooting, everything is up to date (windows/bios) and double checked that all components are installed correctly.

everything seems to be working except for the available memory, memory speed (locked at 2133mhz) and high cpu voltage (1.4-1.5v), anytime i lower voltage under 1.375 or change the memory speed the system does not boot.

Is this a result of a defective mobo, compatibility issue with the RAM or am i missing something else in the settings

anyone else running 32gb ram on an msi b450m mortar? if so please share

system specs:
cpu: ryzen 2700x
mobo: msi b450m mortar
RAM: g.skill 32gb f4-3000c15q-32GTZR (quad kit)
storage: samsung 970evo nvme- samsung 1tb 860 evo
gpu: asus strix rtx 2080
cpu cooler: kraken x52
case: nzxt h400

thanks in advance for any help