Ryzen 2700x on MSI X470, should I manual overclock or stick to auto features?

justice507

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2014
Okay, first of all, I dont really know much about manual overclocking, so I probably wont.

And the Precision Boost and XFR2 are pretty good automatic features for someone who doesnt do manual overclocking.

But someone told me that my "MSI mobo doesnt have offset voltage mode, so I should not use PBO and should do manual overclocking instead". I dont know what he means by that.

So what should I do now? Should I disable Precision boost and do OC manually?

Solution
"MSI mobo doesnt have offset voltage mode, so I should not use PBO and should do manual overclocking instead
If I remember correctly, MSI only has auto and fixed voltage.
I dont know what he means by that.
He means Precision Boost will use higher voltage than needed and cause the CPU to age a little quicker and be hotter. The CPU should run fine up to 1.40v VCore.
So what should I do now?
Keep it cooler than 70c for daily usage(85c throttle). Get a better CPU cooler if needed. Heat has much more effect on CPU health than voltage unless you're running very high voltages.
Should I disable Precision boost and do OC manually?
Up to you. If you can OC and troubleshoot manually, go for it. If not, turn it off...

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
"MSI mobo doesnt have offset voltage mode, so I should not use PBO and should do manual overclocking instead
If I remember correctly, MSI only has auto and fixed voltage.
I dont know what he means by that.
He means Precision Boost will use higher voltage than needed and cause the CPU to age a little quicker and be hotter. The CPU should run fine up to 1.40v VCore.
So what should I do now?
Keep it cooler than 70c for daily usage(85c throttle). Get a better CPU cooler if needed. Heat has much more effect on CPU health than voltage unless you're running very high voltages.
Should I disable Precision boost and do OC manually?
Up to you. If you can OC and troubleshoot manually, go for it. If not, turn it off or keep it cool.

Solution