[SOLVED] Ryzen 2700x running terribly

Jun 29, 2019
I just built a new PC with 32gb Ram at 3200mhz and a Ryzen 2700x and whenever I try to run any game it runs worse than my old FX-4300, how do I fix this

Solution
Which program did you use to monitor your CPU temperature?
It can't be 27 c as that is around half the temperature these chips average at idle.
Idle is generally 40-50c , gaming anywhere from 60c - 75c maximum then getting too hot is 80+.
The CPU will throttle at higher temperatures though and automatically shut down immediately around 95c to avoid heat damage.

Judging by your BSOD and consequent errors of IRQL etc I would say the RAM is causing crashes.

To check your RAM type mdsched.exe in the Search bar next to the Start menu in Windows.
This will test it extensively and reboot your PC to do it at low level

Are you using 2 X 16 GB sticks that are identical made by the same manufacturer?
Also ensure you have observed your...

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Download and run UserBenchmark.
It will show you how all your hardware is performing.
In particular look at the CPU's speed in the results and maximum boost to check it's running flat out.

I have the same CPU as you and it boosts up to 3.9 GHZ in the benchmark and 4.2 in games.

If your CPU is too hot it will thermal throttle automatically to reduce heat so check it ingame using MSI Afterburner.
Use the OSD settings to show CPU temp and speed in games.

What GPU do you have?

Andy

Jun 29, 2019
Download and run UserBenchmark.
It will show you how all your hardware is performing.
In particular look at the CPU's speed in the results and maximum boost to check it's running flat out.

I have the same CPU as you and it boosts up to 3.9 GHZ in the benchmark and 4.2 in games.

If your CPU is too hot it will thermal throttle automatically to reduce heat so check it ingame using MSI Afterburner.
Use the OSD settings to show CPU temp and speed in games.

What GPU do you have?

Andy
I have a MSI Nvidia 1050, the user benchmark says that the CPU score is 27% and is being used in the background 100%.
It almost immediately blue screened after the tests so I have wrote this out from my phone.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
When you first boot Windows open Task Manager, click Processes then click the CPU tab a couple of times and it will list in order of percentage usage the tasks that are using the CPU the most.
You should see a task listed there which is causing your 100% use.

Please post back on here what you find as your BSOD symptoms could either be related to whatever task it is grinding your system to a crawl or other factors.
Once we get this established we can sort out your crashing if it is still happening.

Andy

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Yes exactly Terry.
I asked the OP to run MSI Afterburner in games and display the CPU temperatures.
On a new build it's unlikely that Windows would slow down as that happens gradually but installed 3rd party software might hold it back.
100% CPU usage on an 8 core CPU is more likely a hardware problem but need to eliminate possibilites.

It's just a case of monitoring temperatures, usage etc to find out what is wrong as a 27% benchmark score is drastically low.

Jun 29, 2019
As a general reply to you all;
I'm using the base fan that came with the CPU, the temperature is usual around 27°C (80°F) and I haven't been able to test it under stress.
I have a 700 watt PSU
I fiddled around with the bios and now background CPU usage is at usually 15%, but it used to be System process (things like service host, system) that were causing so much usage, it also seems that my CPU usage jumps to 50% randomly because of these same system processes.

Jun 29, 2019
The computer often bluescreens with multiple file errors, the one I got just now is bxfcoe.sys, i will try to reinstall Windows 10 to see if that fixes anything
I will list a few errors that have caused bluescreens.
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Last edited:

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Which program did you use to monitor your CPU temperature?
It can't be 27 c as that is around half the temperature these chips average at idle.
Idle is generally 40-50c , gaming anywhere from 60c - 75c maximum then getting too hot is 80+.
The CPU will throttle at higher temperatures though and automatically shut down immediately around 95c to avoid heat damage.

Judging by your BSOD and consequent errors of IRQL etc I would say the RAM is causing crashes.

To check your RAM type mdsched.exe in the Search bar next to the Start menu in Windows.
This will test it extensively and reboot your PC to do it at low level

Are you using 2 X 16 GB sticks that are identical made by the same manufacturer?
Also ensure you have observed your motherboard's specification for inserting the sticks into the correct slots.
Usually it's either A2 & B2 or A1 & B1.
This is vital otherwise they either won't boot, crash etc.
If so try just booting with one of them at a time and seeing if you still get crashes.
You will have to move your stick of RAM to the specified slot for using a single stick.
Again - consult your motherboard's manual or go tot he manufacturer's website to download one.
It is extremely rare for 2 sticks of RAM to both be faulty if they were both from the same company.

Andy

Solution