Question Ryzen 2700x vs 3600

schaperb9

Prominent
Nov 23, 2018
So I'm building a new PC for my father. Used exclusively for productivity. Now I was looking around and saw micro center had the 2700x for $130. Pretty hard to pass up on but I also know nothing he does will take advantage of it's core count over 3600. Crazy to think these 2 CPUs are comparable as the 2700x was the flagship last year. But anyway, on to my question. Which cpu would y'all recommend at their given price points? I've heard 3rd gen ryzen has significantly better ipc so it makes me think the 3600 would be better suited for him but 2700x has slightly high clocks so not sure if that evens them out. Both will be going onto a b450 with stock coolers.

WildCard999

Titan
I'd get the 2700X, comes with probably the best version of the Wraith cooler and is significantly cheaper which could allow you to get him better storage or whatever.

Just remember he'll need a dedicated GPU as neither 2700X or 3600 doesn't have a iGPU.

If the lack of a iGPU is going to be problematic then I'd get the 3400G as the 4C/8T should still be quite good for multitasking and when you buy the parts from Microcenter just be sure to grab a B450 board that has been updated enough to use 3rd gen or just grab a X570 if the price is reasonable.

Both will be prety good, but for ~60 bucks less the 2700X sounds like a better option.

The 3600 should be pretty similar in performance, should use less power and it will run cooler than the 2700X, but you will probably want to spend some extra money on a better cooler than the one it comes with. The R5 3600 stock cooler is adequate for it, but really not the best thing for a working PC, specially if you like slient like me.

Something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black (https://www.microcenter.com/product/513903/cooler-master-hyper-212-black-universal-cpu-cooler)

or even the old, yet very good and cheaper Gammaxx 400 are going to be very good choices to replace the stock R5 3600 cooler:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cfx2jX

CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.79 @ Amazon)
Total: $19.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-15 09:14 EST-0500

Cheers!!!

schaperb9

Prominent
Nov 23, 2018
Yea the GPU has been a bigger pain to find than I expected. Just need it for display purposed but need 3 display ports either HDMI/DP as he runs 3 monitors. Seems as though I have to look all the way up to rx570/gtx 1660 territory to find that, but hoping I'll be able to find a deal on one during Black Friday.

I think I am leaning towards the 2700x just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something or underestimating 3rd gens improvements. It is a hell of a deal getting a 2700x with the prism cooler for $130. Add to that not having to worry about b450s being 3rd gen ryzen ready. It really is hard to make an argument for Intel nowadays isn't it? I thought about that for awhile since I wouldn't have to add a gpu to the build but most mobos with 3 display outs are expensive. And on top of that would have to get an upgraded cooler. Actually turned out it would be more expensive to go Intel without a gpu. Who woulda ever thought that could be a thing.

Reactions: RodroX

WildCard999

Titan
Yea the GPU has been a bigger pain to find than I expected. Just need it for display purposed but need 3 display ports either HDMI/DP as he runs 3 monitors. Seems as though I have to look all the way up to rx570/gtx 1660 territory to find that, but hoping I'll be able to find a deal on one during Black Friday.

I think I am leaning towards the 2700x just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something or underestimating 3rd gens improvements. It is a hell of a deal getting a 2700x with the prism cooler for $130. Add to that not having to worry about b450s being 3rd gen ryzen ready. It really is hard to make an argument for Intel nowadays isn't it? I thought about that for awhile since I wouldn't have to add a gpu to the build but most mobos with 3 display outs are expensive. And on top of that would have to get an upgraded cooler. Actually turned out it would be more expensive to go Intel without a gpu. Who woulda ever thought that could be a thing.
Yea your looking at the RX 570 as a minimum for those connections.

If one of the monitors supported VGA (adapter maybe?) then you could go for the 3400G ($135)/Asrock A300 Deskmini (Case/MB for $150)/2x8gb 16gb SO-DIMM ($110) & a Intel 660P 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. All of this could be had for like $500.