Ryzen 2700x : Which are real temperatures ?

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
So i just finished my Ryzen 2700x + MSI B450 Tomahawk build, with a Cryorig H7 Air cooler. I didn't tweak anything in bios beside flashing it to the most recent version and activating A-XMP 2 to get my ram working at 3200mhz. (I have 2x8gb TridentZ 3200mhz CL16). Then i ran 7-zip performance test for about 2 minutes with Amd Ryzen Master and CPUID HWMonitor to check temperature. Problem is, i see a few different temperatures and i have no idea which one is "real". Any help ?

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/fjX9Z9l

Also, i see in HWMonitor that ram voltage is at 1.36V, is it normal ?

Thanks

Solution
package temps are general and based on what the hottest core is.

Pay attention to core's 0-7 (essentially all of the individual cores) and see what the hottest core is, and what the average temps are for all cores.

That'll tell you what the "real" temps are.

You could also use realtemp to monitor temperatures as well as the fact that it will tell you what the TJ Max is so you can see if you're getting to the point of thermal throttling.

I'm sure you are aware of what range of temps are considered safe when under synthetic load from an FFT test for stress testing overclocks so I wont bother with telling you about all that.

If your RAM is rated to run at that voltage then the voltage is fine. But just taking a look at a random kit of...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
package temps are general and based on what the hottest core is.

Pay attention to core's 0-7 (essentially all of the individual cores) and see what the hottest core is, and what the average temps are for all cores.

That'll tell you what the "real" temps are.

You could also use realtemp to monitor temperatures as well as the fact that it will tell you what the TJ Max is so you can see if you're getting to the point of thermal throttling.

I'm sure you are aware of what range of temps are considered safe when under synthetic load from an FFT test for stress testing overclocks so I wont bother with telling you about all that.

If your RAM is rated to run at that voltage then the voltage is fine. But just taking a look at a random kit of 16gb trident z 3200Mhz it says the voltage rating is for 1.35v so it's totally where it should be which means the XMP profile is working correctly.

Here's a link to Real Temp.
https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Solution

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014

Thanks for the answer.

I tried Real Temp but it won't start (saying my 2700x is not supported)

I can't get CPU temperatures in Speedfan and MSI Afterburner either (those are the programs i was using to monitor temps in my last build)

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Make sure you're on the latest version of your BIOS.

If either HW Monitor (assuming it's the absolute latest version) and Real Temp don't work, then the Ryzen desktop software is what you will use to monitor temps.

You could however try seeing if RivaTuner can see your CPU temps.

I don't know what GPU you have, but if you've ever once overclocked it then that would most likely mean you have MSI Afterburner installed and that comes with RivaTuner Statistics.

But generally, the temps reported by the Ryzen software should be accurate.

And since it takes the hottest core and uses that as the basis for it's reading of CPU temps, you're good. Since the hottest core is the one you want to worry about since it's the one putting out the most heat.

So just go with what Ryzen Master tells you is the current CPU temp.