Ryzen 3 1200 Build

Sep 5, 2018
So, yesterday I bought some new components for my PC, but I am still unsure if they will work properly together, because after the research I`ve done so far, I still don`t know if the memory is compatible with the motherboard.

CPU: Ryzen 3 1200
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Masterliquid ML120 RGB
GPU: GTX 970 G1 GAMING
RAM: ADATA XPG Spectrix D41 Titanium Gray RGB 8GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK
PSU: 750W Gold Rated
HDD: 1TB Seagate

Sep 5, 2018

Thank you, but what about the CPU? Will it work without updating the BIOS on the motherboard?

WildCard999

Titan
Everything is compatible but that CPU cooler is a waste of money, the stock cooler is sufficent for a 3.8ghz+ overclock and if you didn't buy it you probably could of gotten the 1400 or 1600. Also without a graphics card that system is useless as the CPU doesn't have a iGPU or integrated graphics (the 2200G has the iGPU).

You probably should of asked this question first before ordering the parts.

The Ryzen 3 1200 will work with the B350 motherboard without a bios update. However to ensure the best memory compatibility, updating your bios is recommended. Due to 1st gen Ryzen being out on the market for roughly two years, they've had quite some time and bios revisions that correct memory compatibility. As a result, there are many compatible memory module kits out on the market today that may not listed on the QVL of your motherboard:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/b350-tomahawk#support-mem-12

Sep 5, 2018

I forgot to put the GPU, I have a GTX 970 G1 from Gigabyte. I know that the liquid cooler is a waste of money, but I am looking forward to upgrade the system in like a year and a half or so.

WildCard999

Titan

Fair enough, just make sure you update the BIOS after installing the OS as it will help with ram compatibility as SgtScream stated and I would do it prior to overclocking the CPU/RAM as well so it will be more stable.

Sep 5, 2018

That is exactly what I want to do, but is there any risk to updating the BIOS besides a power shortage?

All the more reason to update the bios now. Your motherboard is under the standard warranty. When you finish building a system, you always update the bios. Especially an AM4 motherboard. Do you think it's logical to wait until your motherboard is no longer under warranty to update the bios?