Ryzen 3 1200 buy Motherboards B350 Or B450 ?

Jun 17, 2018
Hey friends
I buy a basic gaming computer
With money saving

AMD Ryzen 3 1200
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Patriot DDR4 8GB (2x4GB) 2666MHz

I am looking for a cheap motherboard
that can overclocked the processor up to 3.8 ghz

I'm thinking of buying a B350 or buying the B450
The 1200 processor is the first generation (I do not know if that means anything)
There is no meaning to upgrade the any parts in the system ever (maybe only M.2 SSD)

the question
If there's anything I did not think
Do I have a mistake?

Thank you

Solution

with memory, you always want to try the xmp profile first before manual tuning.

if you are going to the asus board, when you first get it.
update the latest bios. then turn on d.o.c.p and try booting into system.

if that works, you can install your os. if not, try increase the soc and ram voltage by one increments ( 25mv or 50 mv w/e the smallest change in the motherboard) and try again.

Besides better memory support, I don't see any differences between B350 and B450 series.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The "better memory support" is CPU dependent (at least partially), so the B450 chipset won't improve too much re: memory unless you're running a 2nd Gen chip.

For a 1st Gen Ryzen3, opt for a "1st Gen" chipset IMO. B350.

Also note, a 3.8GHZ OC on a 1200 might be a bit of a stretch, depending on the voltage required (and the cooler used).
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8285/amd-ryzen-3-1300x-1200-cpu-review/index8.html

b350 is a good choice,

b350 is fine for the uses, no need for b450 mobo.

however, the ability of oc to 3.8 depends more on your cpu quality rather than mobo quality (for your cpu at least), CPU quality is something you have no control of.

hard to answer that one.

best way is to oc the cpu by 100Mhz increments from 3.5 and try it yourself with the game that you normally play. Then, pick a frequency that's reasonable for your cpu cooling yet with acceptable to play.

it depends on your application, you get more cores, and higher asic quality.

going higher end cpu with a lower end gpu means that you are extracting all of your graphic card performance and nothing got unused.

every ryzen die are pre binned at factory, so the quality of your ryzen 5 chip is better than your ryzen 3 chip statistically.
1200 might have issue reaching 3.8ghz, but 2600 should have no issue reaching 3.9+ ghz.

Even without overclocking the Ryzen 3 1200 works perfectly with the GTX 1050 Ti.

The AMD RYZEN 5 2600 won't improve performance on GPU intensive games over the Ryzen 3 1200 with the GTX 1050 Ti.
If you go with the RYZEN 5 2600 then you should go with a more powerful GPU (GTX 1070 ti).
If you will be performing other task (e.g. streaming) while gaming the RYZEN 5 2600 additional cores/threads will come handy.

Jun 17, 2018
Thank you All reply

I think
I will start with easy OC and continue if necessary,

Anyway I get Great value For my parts and money

I found a cheap board
ASUS Prime B350M-E

Good choice ?

2800 mhz.

the faster the ram, the better the performance. just make sure you have the latest bios for the best memory support.

don't worry about power delivery, all b350 board should handle 4 core ryzen oc without any issue.

Ryzen 1200 can support 3200 speeds, so I will go with the fastest I could afford.
Just make sure to get a kit from the manufacturer QVL

Yes, if you running the CPU at base clock speeds....but you entered overclocking into the equation

If you plan overclocking then you should go with faster RAM to match the CPU higher speeds.

Just get RAM compatible with the motherboard, which could start at 1.2v and go upward 1.4v
The motherboard will provide the voltage needed.
See the memory QVL from the motherboard website.
Which motherboard are you getting?

with memory, you always want to try the xmp profile first before manual tuning.

if you are going to the asus board, when you first get it.
update the latest bios. then turn on d.o.c.p and try booting into system.

if that works, you can install your os. if not, try increase the soc and ram voltage by one increments ( 25mv or 50 mv w/e the smallest change in the motherboard) and try again.

Solution

Bentheball1

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
i overclocked my ryzen 3 1200 to 3.8ghz on an MSI b350 tomahawk and it has been working great since. it was a simple process that took 1 minute but i am a little biased because i have never used a b450 board.