Question Ryzen 3 1200 downclocking to 1.5ghz after OC

Feb 23, 2019
So... my friend overclocked my two rigs. My old ddr2 rig overclocked just fine from 2.66 to a little over 3ghz on a core 2 duo setup but on my ryzen 3 1200 build he tried to o it to 3.99 which it’s no crashing or BSOD BUT cpu z and hwmonitor BOTH say its running at 1.5ghz. Mind you he REMOVED the Tesla gpu coprocessor and jus had the quadro in which was NOT OCed and same thing. He removed the third dimm leaving only two dimms in same thing. I wiped the OS from 10 to 8.1 SAME THING!!

my current specs
ryzen 3 1200 with OC settings in place
3 dimm sticks 2 4gb 1 8gb
k600 quadro
k10 Tesla
2 3.5” hdd
3 120mm fans
cpu is stock cooled
k10 has a modd heatsink with a 120mm fan welded on
old case thermometer thing in the 5.25” bay
550 watt Corsair power supply

I'm sure the OC is too high. Typically you can only get around 3.7-3.8GHz out of those with the stock cooler.

But, are you placing a load on it when you check the speed? Newer CPUs have dynamic frequency that allow them to downclock when not in heavy use to save power and reduce heat.

Feb 23, 2019
Again I didn’t do the OC my friend did so I have seen ZERO part of his process as I know zippidy doodah about overclocking. I j build the rigs and use and/or sell them. All I know is I REMEMBER him saying 4ghz and what all he did but it was 9:30 aka past my bedtime (I’m a 29yr old woman just FYI NOT a teenager or toddle) and I was picking up the computers at house my uber Driver was being impatient and I was 4/5 the way asleep standing there while he was talking so for all I know it probably was 3.8ghz

also I did some research just now and found this
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6p419m/is_there_a_fix_for_the_1550mhz_bug/

Feb 23, 2019
Just got back after spending all night working on fixing this stupid thing. and no before I started the bios wasn’t up to date but I updated it and now it’s looking normal. And yes I do realize it’s a dynamic CPU. It was stuck at 1.5ghz and like the reddit thread stated it’s a bios update thats the solution. My next step is to OC it all over again (with my friends help obviously) and see what I can do with it and if it’s TRULY fixed