[SOLVED] Ryzen 3 1200 for dedicated stream PC? (2nd PC)

Jun 10, 2020
okay... So basically this is a "will it work" question... And if so is it worth it? Okay so currently my primary PC that i use for gaming (pubg, warzone, and other BR titles) consists of Ryzen 5 3600x, gtx 1660 super, 16 gb Corsair RAM 3000 Mhz @ 1080p on a 60 Hz display.

Recently i managed to aquire a brand new pre built PC with some dated parts. The CPU is a ryzen 3 1200, 1050 ti GPU 16 GB Ram on an A320 Board. My first thought was to sell it however i planned on eventually streaming to twitch and/or mixer. Would it benifit to use this 2nd PC as a dedicated streamer? Would it be worth it? And am i correct in that i would just need a ext/int capture card? (Thinking elgato) Keep in mind i already have extra monitors keyboard mouse... Etc. Thanks guys for the replies. I figured id ask here. I see alot of different setups including 4 core cpus on dedicated streaming pcs but little on the r3 1200 specifically...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am FAR from a streaming expert. I follow a few "tube" videos for what they are worth. I would suspect that your 3600X with 12 threads would game and stream better than the 4 thread 1200 will even without the gaming. If you have it in hand it would about be worth trying aside from the cost of the capture card.
TBH that was an exceptional gift as it's a well balanced light gaming and general purpose rig there.

Jun 10, 2020
I am FAR from a streaming expert. I follow a few "tube" videos for what they are worth. I would suspect that your 3600X with 12 threads would game and stream better than the 4 thread 1200 will even without the gaming. If you have it in hand it would about be worth trying aside from the cost of the capture card.
TBH that was an exceptional gift as it's a well balanced light gaming and general purpose rig there.

thanks for the reply! yeah this was what i was especially wondering about... currently i just have the second one as a backup with parts or in case something happens during a hardware upgrade with my current... knock on wood lol.. ive had people tell me id be plenty capable of running a stream on my gaming rig however ive also had people tell me that 2 PCs would always be the way to go especially when playing CPU hungry games... pubg for example is very poorly optimized and i prefer to run it on higher graphics settings if i can. the plan was to keep an eye on capture cards for a while before making the leap... its not like i have to jump on something soon and bite the bullet on the cost. anybody else? would a 1200 be plenty enough to run dedicated streaming @ 720p? 1080?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
OZ talks hardware or something, black fellow out of Atlanta (he commonly mentions going to tech) did a video a month ago comparing his 1700 to one of the new 3100 IIRC and part of his test was streaming along with gaming. Might check on it.

Jun 10, 2020
OZ talks hardware or something, black fellow out of Atlanta (he commonly mentions going to tech) did a video a month ago comparing his 1700 to one of the new 3100 IIRC and part of his test was streaming along with gaming. Might check on it.
ryzen 1700? isnt that an 8 core? my ryzen 3 1200 is a quad core... this secondary pc was somewhat stumbled upon pre built... which is why im wondering if its capable of dedicated streaming at a decent quality without issues...

Reactions: punkncat
Jun 10, 2020
Just for comparison sake. I am sure there are videos out more specific to your exact build.
i got ya.. thanks ill check it out... but yeah man... as ive read the GPU doesnt really matter you can use just about anything.. literally... even some people using some super old integrated graphics... however the CPU... well i was reading about people using a 2 core CPU yearssss ago, and even gaming+streaming from a 4 core similar to mine years ago... however in todays world i havent really seen much on the 4 core CPUs being used in dedicated stream builds... im guessing because for not much more money you can get something substantially better than the ryzen 3 1200...

i guess the question remains because i dont want to put money into a capture card if i would just be better off streaming and gaming from the same PC with my 3600x / 1660 super. however even if it is even a little bit better by not taxing my main rig with the extra load from streaming, id prefer to buy a capture card and stream from the 2nd PC with the 4 core CPU... (given its possible and runs smooth, 720p or even 1080p if possible)

i had a couple guys saying it would be more then enough however it was a quick conversation and im not sure they realized how old the CPU was that i had mentioned (lol)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020
(BUMP)

Anybody know if a Quad-core processor would be enough in a dedicated stream PC in today's day and age? Furthermore, would it be "ideal" for say 720p in decent quality? 1080? Keep in mind my above setup for my main rig (5 3600x / 1660 super).... i was basically given a brand new setup for FREE (Ryzen 3 1200 paired w/ a 1050 ti) --- As i said before, my initial thoughts were to sell it, maybe upgrade to a 2060 or something, but being as I'm completely happy with my 1660 super, and being that I already had future aspirations to stream on twitch/mixer -- i thought.. why not use this opportunity to run a double PC setup. I know doing this normally costs $$$ and ill probably never be in a situation again in my life where i have a "spare" PC just lying around that could be used in a 2 PC setup...

Last edited: