[SOLVED] Ryzen 3 1300x Build Won't POST

Nov 15, 2018
Hi all,

I recently built a Ryzen based medium-low end gaming PC with all the parts listed below. The issue I'm having right now is that it won't post and never did post, the fans come on and everything lights up but no post code or display on screen.

All the things I've tired
Complete System Rebuild
Trying with only one stick of RAM in each slot and no RAM at all
Cleared the CMOS
Tried another confirmed working Power supply
Tried another confirmed working GPU
Tried another confirmed working set of RAM

Other Information
According to MSI customer support the CPU should be compatible with the mobo out of the box i.e. no BIOS flash needed.
Any insight is greatly appreciated as this has been incredibly frustrating for the past couple of days.

Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1300x 3.5 GHz
Mobo: MSI B350M Gaming Pro Micro ATX
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 2x4GB DDR4-2133
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 600W 80+ Bronze

Solution
Could be a dead board. Take it out of the case and set it on an insulated surface. Connect just CPU/cooler, 1 stick RAM (in proper slot if required), PSU, good gfx card, monitor. No KB, mouse, drives, etc. Start the system by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case's power button would connect to. See if you get a display. If so, add in the KB, mouse and try again.

Btw, that CPU takes a 7A39v27 (2017-06-29) BIOS. That is a later BIOS than the original release board came with. How did MSI determine the board didn't need a BIOS update? How long ago did you buy the board? From where?

AMD will loan you a CPU to update the BIOS if that ends up being the problem. But it will be hard to tell w/o it...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Could be a dead board. Take it out of the case and set it on an insulated surface. Connect just CPU/cooler, 1 stick RAM (in proper slot if required), PSU, good gfx card, monitor. No KB, mouse, drives, etc. Start the system by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case's power button would connect to. See if you get a display. If so, add in the KB, mouse and try again.

Btw, that CPU takes a 7A39v27 (2017-06-29) BIOS. That is a later BIOS than the original release board came with. How did MSI determine the board didn't need a BIOS update? How long ago did you buy the board? From where?

AMD will loan you a CPU to update the BIOS if that ends up being the problem. But it will be hard to tell w/o it POSTing.

Solution
Nov 15, 2018

They determined that it would work with it because I told the name of the board and that it was a 1300x and they said that it should work. I got the board from OutletPC about a week ago and this is actually my second board because I took it to MicroCenter for a BIOS flash thinking it was that originally and they said that it could be the board is dead so I returned it and got another. I'll try it out of the case for sure when I get the chance. Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
2 dead boards in a row is pretty unusual. I wonder if Micro Center knew what they were doing when they flashed the BIOS? I've built several Ryzen systems since they came out and never had a single DOA component. You're either extremely unlucky or something else is at play.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
2 dead for AMD Ryzens, that is about a 25% odds. Not surprising at all. I worked with 6 Ryzen boards so far this year. Does not matter one lick which brand, Asus, Gigabyte, AsRock, MSI, etc. 3 out 6 was bad. Problems ranged from DOA to random BSOD 3months later or 6 months later. Consider yourself lucky that you caught the problem early when you can get your money back, one of the reason I like Microcenter and I got my boards there. But I say the failure rate is running about 50%, basically a coin flip.