Ryzen 3 1300x New Build hard freezing problem

bfranca

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Hi folks...

Decided to build my first PC for my dad who wanted a budget gaming PC to use for himself and my son when he visits.

I'd added components to my PC at home and figured I could handle it.

I went with PC Gamer's budget cyber-monday build (http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-a-budget-gaming-pc-built-with-cyber-monday-deals-for-522/)

It included:

CPU - Ryzen 3 1300X
GPU - GTX 1060 3GB
MOBO - ASRock AB350M Pro 4
RAM - GeIL Evo Potenza 2x4GB DDR4-2400
HD - Crucial BX300 240GB SSD
PSU - Rosewill Valens 80+ Gold 500W

So after installation, I put a fresh copy of Windows 10 on the SSD, and completed all updates (nvidia drivers, windows 10 updates, any basic hardware updates I could complete). I added Steam, VLC, AVAST, and Origin with no issues. I set Steam to install a game overnight (slow internet speeds) and when I woke up, the computer was frozen about midway through the install. Fans were still working but complete freeze. I reboot the next day and after finishing the install, I start the game and another freeze. This time, upon reboot, the computer locks up again within 5 minutes or so.

If I let it sit for a few hours, I can get it to act normal for another 1-2 hours.

Now I have limited technical expertise, but here is what I've tried:

I first searched forums and have found similar issues, but most of them don't seem to have been solved. Some links: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3535484/asrock-ab350m-pro-freezing.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3594663/asrock-ab350m-pro4-random-freezing-load.html

I removed the RAM and reinserted it.

I've monitored the temps using CPUID HW monitor (nothing crazy even right before crashes)

I've flash updated the UEFI

I've made settings changes as suggested by this link
(https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-windows-10-freezes-locks-up-randomly-easily/)
the link includes things like - running memory check - reset virtual memory - run disk check - run system file checker - disable c-states

I'm usually pretty good at hunting out solutions to problems I've had, but this is the first time I've had to write a forum post. Any help or suggestions you guys could offer would be much appreciated. I'm hoping to fix this by Christmas for my dad.

Solution
Yeah Im having the same problem, but I have the Ryzen 5 1600, its the motherboard. People were talking in other forums apparently, there is a glitch in the motherboard that cuts power to the CPU and it freezes, everyone was able to fix their issues by switching to a different motherboard. Very dissapointed in Asrock and newegg, I think they know its an issue, and thats why its always on sale for so cheap.

martainscorsese

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
Try clearing CMOS and seeing if that helps. I had this exact same problem with the same CPU and Motherboard, but clearing CMOS only got me an extra 2-3 hours before it froze. Usually to test it I'll have Aida64 running and have some game running in the background (something like the combination of computational and graphical load causing instability).

If that doesn't help, try contacting ASRock support about this. In my case, their support just told me to get a different motherboard though. I guess this is a thing that happens on these boards?

bfranca

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Any other ideas for me? I've now cleared the CMOS and tried the PSU from my own computer. Still freezing as noted above.

Does the timing of the freezes indicate a temperature issue? 1-2 hours then freeze and the frequent freezes if I immediately reboot.

I'm not opposed to asking ASRock for a new MOBO, but could the CPU itself be an issue?

Computer runs superbly within that first hour or two until the freeze.

martainscorsese

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

The issue doesn't seem to be so stable. It's entirely possible that it's a temperature issue (possibly some kind of cross-talk that only becomes a problem once capacitors reach a critical temperature, though this should have been considered in their design -- doesn't explain why it only seems to be a problem with Ryzen 1300x though); I doubt it's a CPU problem. As you've noted, it works fine for the first 1-2 hrs. Mine did the same. Once I replaced the motherboard *with a different model* it worked fine, so I'm convinced there's a problem with ASRock b350m-pro4 boards and Ryzen 1300X processors.

If it's just a firmware bug, hopefully they can fix it with a BIOS update. Contact their support - if anything, I've found that they're usually pretty honest.

hitominojyuunin

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Same problem with me too. Same Mobo, processor and graphics card. I switched to ram on the AMD approved list, no difference. Switch video cards, no difference. Sometimes it lasts a while but sometimes I can't even get it to last more than rl5 minutes. Seems the longer break I give it the longer it lasts. No idea what to do here. About to just buy Intel and eat the cost since I've been trouble shooting this for months and I'm sure I can't get a refund even for store credit at Newegg for it.

joshc.rising

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Yeah Im having the same problem, but I have the Ryzen 5 1600, its the motherboard. People were talking in other forums apparently, there is a glitch in the motherboard that cuts power to the CPU and it freezes, everyone was able to fix their issues by switching to a different motherboard. Very dissapointed in Asrock and newegg, I think they know its an issue, and thats why its always on sale for so cheap.

Solution