[SOLVED] Ryzen 3 2200G Build Help - Questions

Mar 28, 2019
Hey Guys, sorry If I posted in the wrong category, I'm a college student and this is my first time building a gaming PC, I need to remain on a tight budget so the parts I have list are the best I can afford as a lot of the parts are quite pricey in SA.

I have checked PCPartsPicker to make sure they are all compatible.
Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Reus11D/saved/xDCBbv
Extra info:
  • I will be adding a GPU after a few months of saving.
  • 16gb Ram to futureproof, because the motherboard only has 2 dimm slots.
  • I mostly play AAA RPG games like the Witcher, Tomb raider, GTA, etc
  • A lot of other motherboards are out of stock or highly priced.
  • I need that case (has 3 pre-installed fans) for airflow as the room I'm in is quite small, I have a room-mate and another pc which we use to watch movies/tv.

So here are my list of questions:
  1. Will the Motherboard bottleneck any performance?
  2. What exactly does this mean for me on the specs of the Motherboard: AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Raven Ridge) - 1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE2: x8 mode)*
  3. Will the Motherboard affect any gaming performance when adding a midrange GPU later like a Rx 570/580 or a GDDR6 card?
  4. I was told by a friend it's better to have more Ram capacity then to have less ram at a higher frequency, so should I change the 16gb 2400mhz to a 8gb 3000mhz or leave it as is?
  5. Should I wait for the new Ryzen Gen 3 to release?
  6. I'm I able to control the LEDs of the fans from the case or motherboard or do I need to buy a controller or something, I don't care about the colour or anything just that the fans are running.
  7. With 16 gb ram, what will be the maximum amount of ram I can allocate to the APU?
  8. I was told by a friend that the PCIE x16 slot will be reduce to x8 if I have a CPU with APU, which I'm not sure about, will I be able to get the full performance out of a gpu and not have it's bandwidth cut in half?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
  1. No, it's good MB for that CPU and all the way up to 2600x.
  2. Raven Ridge is name for core of certain Ryzen CPUs.
MB has one 1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot which will run in x8 mode if combined with APU processor. Wouldn't make much if any difference in GPU performance if you don't use some top end GPU like GTR 2080Ti.
  1. Not at all.
  2. For APU processor faster RAM is better because IGPU uses normal RAM instead of vRAM on dedicated GPUs but at same time also leaves less of work RAM.
  3. You could wait for Ryzen 3, it just depends if you can wait another 3 -4 month. If you can, it should be worth it but by how much remains to be seen as there's no 100% credible prediction when and which models will come out and with...
  1. No, it's good MB for that CPU and all the way up to 2600x.
  2. Raven Ridge is name for core of certain Ryzen CPUs.
MB has one 1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot which will run in x8 mode if combined with APU processor. Wouldn't make much if any difference in GPU performance if you don't use some top end GPU like GTR 2080Ti.
  1. Not at all.
  2. For APU processor faster RAM is better because IGPU uses normal RAM instead of vRAM on dedicated GPUs but at same time also leaves less of work RAM.
  3. You could wait for Ryzen 3, it just depends if you can wait another 3 -4 month. If you can, it should be worth it but by how much remains to be seen as there's no 100% credible prediction when and which models will come out and with which exact performance.
  4. There's no RGB controller on the MB so you'd have to get one if you want RGB lights (fans or otherwise). Case seems to have such controller though for use with own fans.
  5. There's no use for more than 2GB for a IGPU of that class so that would be about maximum it will use. Don't have to set it in the BIOS, it will take as much as needed.
  6. See #2.

Reactions: reusD
Solution
With this build, you are shooting yourself in the foot in 2 ways.
Too small SSD and a really under performing PSU. Ram is not good at all.
3 things you will regret doing
Windows is not the only thing that goes on C drive, 120GB is way too small, it will be full within 3-6 months. This system gives you the 512 GB which will be enough for now and you can add HDD's later if you require space.

If you still want a HDD then go for this one

Its $8 more and twice the space. 2TB instead of 1TB

I changed your SSD to 512 and dropped the 1TB you can add this later
Upgraded the PSU so you have something that won't cause damage to your system
Changed motherboard for ATX so you can add more ram later or buy 2x4GB ram now and upgrade later to save money.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $459.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-28 09:54 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019
@CountMike Thanks for the explanation.

@ElectrO_90 I just need this PC to last 3-4 years, once I'm done with college I will look into getting something in a higher range. I have 4tb external HDD for storage of other stuff, nothing but gaming will be done on this PC. I might take your advise on taking a larger SSD and leaving the 1tb.