Ryzen 3 2200G + GTX 460

Nov 5, 2018
I have a Ryzen 3 on the way, and an old GTX 460 768MB card that I'm considering adding to the build. Will there be any ready advantage to putting the 460 in with the Vega APU? Passmark shows pretty similar scores, and I'm wondering if it'll be just a waste of energy/fan noise to put the 460 in this new build.

Thanks!

Solution
They're about the same. Looking at modern cards vs the GTX 460 and the Vega 8, the GT 1030 just beats both of them by about the same amount, which would suggest Passmark is correct. It wouldn't make any sense to use your old card with limit memory.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
*EDIT*

Sorry, completely misread as an RX460.... not a GTX 460.

They'd perform very, very similar to one another, so doesn't make much sense.
Only situation I could think of where it might make some sense, would be if you had limited system memory (ie 4GB). By the time the iGP gets what it needs, and OS overhead....... having the discreet GPU could be beneficial.

Otherwise (with a system with 8GB minimum), the GTX460 would be pointless.

They're about the same. Looking at modern cards vs the GTX 460 and the Vega 8, the GT 1030 just beats both of them by about the same amount, which would suggest Passmark is correct. It wouldn't make any sense to use your old card with limit memory.

Solution
Nov 5, 2018

Ha! I misread your answer as saying the opposite as well (absolutely as in, absolutely not worth adding). Probably should have asked more clearly. And yeah userbenchmark shows some very slight gains from the GTX460 compared to the integrated but I doubt it's worth the noise/power consumption. Thanks!

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
I still might try the gtx460. Depending on what your doing and how much ram you have. I haven't used onboard graphics in a while. But I'm assuming they are probably using around 2gb now (just a guess).

I'm pretty sure the GTX 460 can handle DX 12, even though it wasn't a thing when it was released, I believe the newer drivers make it compatible.

But, as I said earlier, there isn't much in it, and given the lack of VRAM on the card vs system RAM, I don't know why you'd want to use it....and that's not even taking power usage and noise into consideration.