Question Ryzen 3 2200g not drawing enough current/power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2019
I have a Ryzen 2200g on an Msi b450 gaming plus with an EVGA Bronze Plus 500 watt power supply. My dedicated GPU is a pulse rx580. HWinfo is giving me a max package power of 20 watts and 30 amps drawn at 100 percent load fory 2200g. I have the voltage locked to 1.35 max. This is what I believe is causing stutters in every single game. Can someone explain if these readings are incorrect and I should look elsewhere for the problem?

Dec 10, 2019
Also now that I'm thinking about it, the wattage should equal amperage x voltage so shouldn't the power be around 40 watts? This is still not very close to the 65 watt tdp. As a side note, there is a buzzing sound that I believe is coming from my CPU fan when at max load and the buzzing sound stutters at the same exact time I get in game stuttering.

InvalidError

Titan
TDP is Thermal Design Power - the minimum power the heatsink must be able to handle under worst-case APU load of the worst-case silicon lottery and worst-case ambient temperature to sustain normal operation. Unless you have the worst-case everything, you won't actually draw 65W except as limited-time boost or while overclocking a little. Typical power under typical load will be much lower most of the time.

My i5-3470 is a 77W TDP part according to the spec but actual package power reported by the VRM under full CPU load is only about 35W.

Your stutter in games may simply be due to the 2200g being a 4C4T CPU with only 4MB of L3 cache.

As for the fan seemingly dropping at the same time stutter is happening, that would imply a sudden drop in CPU usage. This typically happens when software runs into a dead-lock situation or when the OS is stuck waiting on IO. Bad memory can also cause stutters when corrupt data sends a routine on a wild goose chase without actually crashing it.

Dec 10, 2019
TDP is Thermal Design Power - the minimum power the heatsink must be able to handle under worst-case APU load of the worst-case silicon lottery and worst-case ambient temperature to sustain normal operation. Unless you have the worst-case everything, you won't actually draw 65W except as limited-time boost or while overclocking a little. Typical power under typical load will be much lower most of the time.

My i5-3470 is a 77W TDP part according to the spec but actual package power reported by the VRM under full CPU load is only about 35W.

Your stutter in games may simply be due to the 2200g being a 4C4T CPU with only 4MB of L3 cache.

As for the fan seemingly dropping at the same time stutter is happening, that would imply a sudden drop in CPU usage. This typically happens when software runs into a dead-lock situation or when the OS is stuck waiting on IO. Bad memory can also cause stutters when corrupt data sends a routine on a wild goose chase without actually crashing it.
Thank you for the reply. I don't think the 4c/4t is the problem as it happens in league of legends at 50% usage and Bioshock remaster at 60% usage. I have 2x8gb sticks of crucial Ballistix Sport LT and I ordered them at separate times so they are from separate batches. I have tried xmp profiles and using Ryzen dram calculator to tighten frequency/timing and no luck. Also I have tried using single stick with both sticks and the same exact stutters happen so I think it's unlikely that the ram is faulty. I believe it's either the motherboard or CPU. When I checked out other people's HWinfo on Google pics for the 2200g, people are getting package powers closer to 40 watts. I've also tried 2 different bios versions that were released 4 month apart.

Edit: this also happens when I set the frequency multiplier above boost clock. I set the frequency to 3.8 and tried 3.9 but never locked the voltage higher than 1.370 v.

Edit 2: sorry I have a lot of info to convey, I'm just trying to convey the relevant info as I have been troubleshooting for months now. The ram is 3000mhz and I've tried it at 2933, 3000 and 3200 manually set.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.