Question Ryzen 3 2200g not performing as well as other Ryzen 3 2200g cpus

warmdigit

Prominent
Oct 22, 2019
I got a newly built pc, ever since I had got the pc it has not been running as well as it should be in games. I get massive fps drops and can't run most games that my cpu and gpu are capable of.

I am using a rx 570 4g gpu paired with ryzen 3 2200g which are known to be great together. I have 16gb ram single channel. Ever since getting the pc I have been searching for ages for solutions.

I've been using the radeon software and keeping my drivers up to date and Ive also compared my cpu to another cpu of the exact same and comparing the differences the other cpu performs better than mine even though they are the exact same.

https://ibb.co/wrCY67f

The yellow exclamation marks indicate that I can run the minimum requirements and on the right side (which I am comparing to) is showing green marks which indicates it can run on recommended settings.

Last edited:

warmdigit

Prominent
Oct 22, 2019
Exactly where do you have the monitor plugged into? Is it plugged into the motherboard connector or directly into the back of the gpu? Because according to your yellow exclamations it's using Vega graphics, which is the cpu/motherboard, not the gpu.
I have it plugged into the gpu directly from the back and I am using a dvi cable, I've also tried using a hdmi cable to see if there was any difference which there wasn't. My bios settings has intergrated graphics turned off and my rx 570 seems to be working in games, however my gpu doesn't use its full power and I get low gpu usage in demanding games and I don't think its a bottleneck because my cpu isn't hitting 100% usage.

warmdigit

Prominent
Oct 22, 2019
I've been looking at multiple benchmark videos with the same gpu and cpu and they have tested games like Assassins Creed Odyssey, which I couldn't run at all, In the benchmarks they were getting around 45-60 fps on medium-high graphics settings and 1080p yet I couldn't reach 20 fps on the lowest settings and 720p resolution which was unplayable. Another game that others of the same cpu and gpu could run fine was Assassins creed unity a game that I also own and I get average fps of 20 on the lowest settings, when others are getting 70fps on higher settings and assassins creed unity is one of the older games which was released in 2014.

Theres other really old games like borderlands 2, grand theft auto V, the elder scrolls which I get horrible performance on and another thing to mention in most of the games I have played I get the same performance on the lowest graphics settings than on the highest. It just seems so weird and unexplainable

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, slight issue there, and not with the cpu, but your perceptions.

A cpu/gpu always works at 100% of its ability. If the clocks are 3.8GHz, that's exactly how fast it's working, and to the full potential of its IPC. You will get every frame possible the cpu can pre-render. Usage is not ability. Usage is the amount of resources the cpu uses to get that 100%. For simplicity sake, say a cpu has a bandwidth of 100MHz. The game code is consisted of a whole bunch of short strings and each string is only 30MHz wide. So the cpu is going to shove that first string though as fast as able, but it's only going to use 30MHz, or 30% usage.

Maxing out a cpu/gpu means that cpu/gpu is totally swamped, it's packed to the hills with info and can't do any more. Add 1 more MHz and now you truly do have a bottleneck. With 30MHz strings, you could even use hyperthreading, and shove 2 strings through simultaneously, both going through at 100% ability.

So yes, your gpu is using its full power as such, it just doesn't require much to do so.

warmdigit

Prominent
Oct 22, 2019
Ok, slight issue there, and not with the cpu, but your perceptions.

A cpu/gpu always works at 100% of its ability. If the clocks are 3.8GHz, that's exactly how fast it's working, and to the full potential of its IPC. You will get every frame possible the cpu can pre-render. Usage is not ability. Usage is the amount of resources the cpu uses to get that 100%. For simplicity sake, say a cpu has a bandwidth of 100MHz. The game code is consisted of a whole bunch of short strings and each string is only 30MHz wide. So the cpu is going to shove that first string though as fast as able, but it's only going to use 30MHz, or 30% usage.

Maxing out a cpu/gpu means that cpu/gpu is totally swamped, it's packed to the hills with info and can't do any more. Add 1 more MHz and now you truly do have a bottleneck. With 30MHz strings, you could even use hyperthreading, and shove 2 strings through simultaneously, both going through at 100% ability.

So yes, your gpu is using its full power as such, it just doesn't require much to do so.
Ah right I see now, thank you for explaining

Also is that fine that I have my dvi cable plugged directly from the back of the gpu and my intergrated graphics isnt detected and my gpu seems to be detected and working

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In bios make sure that the PEG or primary graphics is set for the gpu. Other than that, it's confusing, which is why I asked about the connection. If you plug into the gpu, you'd be using gpu. If you plug into the motherboard connection, it'd use the apu. If you had a standard Ryzen that has no Vega graphics at all, and plugged into the motherboard, you'd get no picture at all.

warmdigit

Prominent
Oct 22, 2019
In bios make sure that the PEG or primary graphics is set for the gpu. Other than that, it's confusing, which is why I asked about the connection. If you plug into the gpu, you'd be using gpu. If you plug into the motherboard connection, it'd use the apu. If you had a standard Ryzen that has no Vega graphics at all, and plugged into the motherboard, you'd get no picture at all.
I've just checked and it was already turned on/selected as PEG

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Can you download and run Unigine Valley, and while that's running also run GPU-Z (Senors tab)? And then post a screenshot of that.

Run Valley at max settings and whatever your monitor resolution is, but don't make it fullscreen.

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Try using DDU to uninstall all display drivers, and then reinstall latest drivers from AMD's website.

I'm not seeing anything that could explain this behaviour. If it's been acting this way since you got it there's a possibility you were sold a faulty card.

Last edited:

warmdigit

Prominent
Oct 22, 2019
Try using DDU to uninstall all display drivers, and then reinstall latest drivers from AMD's website.

I'm not seeing anything that could explain this behaviour. If it's been acting this way since you got it there's a possibility you were sold a faulty card.
I've used DDU multiple times to reinstall the drivers but no change and I am beginning to think its a faulty card as well but I am getting 2x8gb ram for dual channel to see if that changes anything

Reactions: TJ Hooker