[SOLVED] Ryzen 3 2200g not running the Base clock speed (3.5ghz) and has a high temperature

Feb 5, 2019
My Ryzen 3 2200g is not running at its base clock speed which is 3.5 ghz,

(I got this pc last January 13, 2019)

my clock speed fluctuates from 2.8 - 3.2 ghz at 52 - 55c when idle , and when I try to play games the cpu temp reaches 58 - 60c (normally it should be at 3.5 ghz - 3.7 ghz with a temp of 50c when idle and only reaches 55c when playing) I tried to manually put it at 3.5 ghz using Ryzen Master but it reaches 55c when idle and 60 - 65c when playing games (I also tried to put it at 3.7 ghz but it reaches almost 74c) same goes for my memory speed which i oc'ed at 2800mhz but only shows the base speed 2400mhz. Is this normal, is this because of poor airflow, should I buy a aftermarket cooler or is there something broken?

System Specs:
- Ryzen 3 2200g 3.5 Ghz base and 3.7 max boost
- MSI B450M Bazooka Plus MOBO
- Palit GTX 1050ti 4GB DDR5
- HyperX 8GB Ram DDR4 2400MHz (Single Channel)
- Seasonic 500w Eco plus power supply

Solution
At idle they all do. No need to run full speed sitting at desktop. It's a power savings feature. Now if it's doing it loaded up fully in games then we'll need to look into that. You only mentioned the drops at idle

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
You can adjust the fan curve if you want lower idle temps. 74c at 3.7 isn't going to hurt anything but that idle is a bit higher than I'd want. But with such a little difference between load and idle temps it's obvious the fan is spinning really slow until it reaches some specific temp

Feb 5, 2019

how about the clock speed fluctuating below the base 3.5GHz?
and do you have a recommended speed for the fan?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
At idle they all do. No need to run full speed sitting at desktop. It's a power savings feature. Now if it's doing it loaded up fully in games then we'll need to look into that. You only mentioned the drops at idle

Solution
Feb 5, 2019

oh okay, so it's different if the speed stays the same and doesn't fully load up even during playing games?

Feb 5, 2019

oh okay, thanks for the suggestion