Jun 8, 2020
First of all, I am new to pc builds and I am currently on my first ever pc. If there is any clarification that is needed let me know!
I have been trying to overclock my Ryzen 3 2200g. Here are the things I have tried in chronological order (consider this is my first time trying to overclock and I am trying to learn as I go):

- I first overclocked my ram to 2800mhz (originally set to 2666mhz) and set the core frequency to 3800mhz, I also had set the Vcore to Auto (@1.4v). I had no issues and ran Cinebench to find a slight increase from a score of 361 to 473. I ran an Aida63 stress test (not very long like 10 minutes) and it was staying stable at ~88C.

- I then bumped it to 3.825ghz (while vcore set to auto still) and redid the cinebench (got 522) and AIDA64 (again for not very long ~6 minutes). The temps were similar.

- Then I finally I changed the Vcore from 1.4v to 1.4125v and changed the SoC to 1.2v (ram was also using ~1.35v), I increased the frequency to 3.85ghz. I booted and tried to run cinebench but my pc crashed.

- I then rolled back the vcore to 1.4v and tried again and crashed again in cinebench. At this point I was monitoring cpu temps with HWinfo and saw an increase to 88C just before it crashed.

- I then rolled back the frequency to 3.825ghz and tried cinebench again and it crashed.

- Finally I rolled back to 3.800ghz @ 1.385v in which I got a score of 409 but about 3 minutes into AIDA64 my pc crashed again.

Now I am sitting here basically back at square one. I worry as well that my idle temps are too high (during all the tests it was around 63-69C). I am not sure what I should tweak and why my pc keeps crashing.

I know this is a lot of information but I just wanted to let everyone know what I did just in case i messed something up in the middle (It is my first time overclocking). If I didn't say I changed something then i haven't changed it from the previous step/attempt.

-I am running on the stock cooler as well. I have 2x4gb RAM @ 2666. I have a RX 580 8gb as well.

I want to try to get at least a 3.825ghz OC with stable enough temps (<90C) to game. I am not sure if that is possible for this chip (or if it is good for longevity). Please let me know what I missed and what I can do to achieve this! Thank you all!

Last edited:
Solution
the voltage is waaaay high for 1st gen ryzen apu, i would recommend to go under 1.35V and use HSF cooler. OC ing 2200G isnt that worth, better grab a new cpu like 3300X or 3500X. It would perform waay better.
Jun 8, 2020
the voltage is waaaay high for 1st gen ryzen apu, i would recommend to go under 1.35V and use HSF cooler. OC ing 2200G isnt that worth, better grab a new cpu like 3300X or 3500X. It would perform waay better.
Maybe its just my cpu then? I have seen some people able to overclock to at least 3.8 around 1.4v (maybe i just got a poorer performing part). I will try it at around 1.35v but at what frequency? 3.75ghz?
Also I am considering upgrading to a r5 3600 or 1600af when the prices go down.
Thank you!