chrisvl

Commendable
Feb 9, 2019
So I overclocked my brand new R3 2200G at 3.75 GhZ and the graphics at 1.4 GhZ ,a pretty mild overclock with the stock cooler, (as I've seen many people go as far as 3.9 GhZ on and 1.65 GhZ on the graphics). I was gaming and ,out of the blue, got a blue screen ,for a system task I can not remember. After allowing windows to collect the data and automatically restart I realise that the system wont boot. I made sure that the cables were all properly connected and the cooler applied the proper pressure. I try to boot the system, leading it to fail many times or boot with the EZ Debug LED for the CPU lit while still posting with no graphics.I'm getting hella worried cause either the CPU is damaged ,that I can't believe as the overclock was stable for 6+ days at 35 degrees celcius and while gaming at 55-70 degrees celcius, or the motherboard was damaged before I got it (a thing I was suspecting as I was getting errors for a brand new CPU and RAM supported for the motherboard and optimised for ryzen CPUS). Will an RMA cover it and how much will it cost?

My Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G @ 3.75 GhZ
CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth (provided with the cpu)
GPU: Intergrated Radeon Graphics @ 1400 MhZ
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus
RAM: HyperX Predator @ 3000 MhZ
PSU: Corsair VS550
(note: everything is brand new and buyed from official resellers)

Solution
First power off your pc and make sure your your psu is plugged in and switched on. The next steps apply to my MSI B350 Gaming Plus, so they should be simmilar for your b450 gaming plus. The b450 gaming plus may have a bios reset button you could try aswell. I dont know how those work since my b350 doesnt have one.
There should be a cmos battery on your mobo. Near that there should be 2 pins labeled jbatt or simmilar. Take a screwdriver and bridge these for about 10 seconds and this will clear the cmos.
All of this should be in your owners manual for your mobo if you need help locating things or need more explaining.
I have had issues where ill turn my pc off and it refuses to boot again no matter what, even with 100% stable components...
Do not immediately go down the broken hardware route. Can you get into your bios to clear your settings? If not you can clear your failed overclock by bridging your jcmos pins on your system when powered off but plugged in. Likely the overclock wasnt 100% stable and just took awhile to be a problem. Doing the above will clear your cmos and should fix the issue.
Overclocking may have voided your warrenty.

chrisvl

Commendable
Feb 9, 2019
Do not immediately go down the broken hardware route. Can you get into your bios to clear your settings? If not you can clear your failed overclock by bridging your jcmos pins on your system when powered off but plugged in. Likely the overclock wasnt 100% stable and just took awhile to be a problem. Doing the above will clear your cmos and should fix the issue.
Overclocking may have voided your warrenty.
I didn't think that the overclocking was unstable as I run both Cinebench CPU and OpenGL benchmarks,an AIDA 64 stress test and played multiple games and didnt see a single error or blue screen I hadn't experienced before it. I was running into major problems as the X-AMP was set way too low causing the RAM to malfunction while running perfect on other rigs and got many "thread error not optimized" bluescreens. I'll definetely try to reflash the bios and clear CMOS. (Do you know any way to clear CMOS without needing graphics signal, as I get none?)

First power off your pc and make sure your your psu is plugged in and switched on. The next steps apply to my MSI B350 Gaming Plus, so they should be simmilar for your b450 gaming plus. The b450 gaming plus may have a bios reset button you could try aswell. I dont know how those work since my b350 doesnt have one.
There should be a cmos battery on your mobo. Near that there should be 2 pins labeled jbatt or simmilar. Take a screwdriver and bridge these for about 10 seconds and this will clear the cmos.
All of this should be in your owners manual for your mobo if you need help locating things or need more explaining.
I have had issues where ill turn my pc off and it refuses to boot again no matter what, even with 100% stable components. I clear my cmos using the steps above and it works fine, powering on like normal. You may want to change some bios settings back to the overclocked state.

Last edited:
Solution

pitogo

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
Wow sorry to hear that. Hope you get your system resolved.

Keeping an eye on this as I also have a similar system OC using a Ryzen 3 2200G with a ASRock B450 MB.