Ryzen 3 2200g/Ryzen 5 1600 buildpath motherboard/ram/ssd help

mixingplaids

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
I'm trying to build a pc and I've been researching parts and compatibilities and it is a bit overwhelming for a first time builder.

Currently I'm looking at this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wmb9Cb

My intent is to build a 2200g, throw in a gpu when I can afford it and upgrade to a 1600 after a few months capable of playing and streaming to twitch at the same time. Please note that I'm not trying to budget build AROUND the 2200g, the main focus is the 1600, but obviously these parts need to work with the 2200g until I can afford the upgrade.
I mainly play League of Legends and Blade and Soul, and I really want to play Rainbow 6 as well.

What I'm not understanding is which ssd, mobo and ram are compatible with both the 2200g and the 1600. I'm a little stressed about it looking over QVLs and not understanding what I'm looking at.
I'm reading that the b350 pro4 (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yBtWGX/asrock-ab350-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350-pro4) is a good mobo but 3200 ram won't run on it, but I also read that ryzen needs high ram speeds to work well so to me it sounds really confusing. other boards I've liked are the b350f (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZHyxFT/asus-strix-b350-f-gaming-atx-am4-motherboard-strix-b350-f-gaming) and the x370 killer (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LgmxFT/asrock-x370-killer-sliac-atx-am4-motherboard-x370-killer-sliac). I liked the x370 for the onboard wifi since wifi adapters are also confusing with mixed reviews, but on the other hand I've read that anything below the r5 1600x doesn't really benefit from an x370 over a b350. To top it all off, the QVLs surrounding ssds are also another language.
So, my overall question/concern is: which ssd, mobo and ram will be compatible with BOTH the r3 2200g and the r5 1600 w/ a dedicated gpu?
What are my best storage options?

Can I run the x370 with both chips and not need to worry about an outside wifi adapter?
If I should jus topt for a b350 and need a wifi adapter, which adapter actually works well and will last me some time?
Budget is irrelevant. I just want no issues with my first time assembly.

Thanks for any input!

Solution
That is a fine build and will run just fine with the parts you have selected. You will also be able to drop a 1600 in and everything will be completely compatible. You don't need a x370 chipset, I would hang on to the b350 as it is better suited for your build.

As for wifi, you can always add a wifi card for around $20, so it is not mandatory that it comes with the motherboard.

Also, you don't really need a 960 EVO for this build. The 960 EVO is a great CPU, but for the task you will be using, you wont see any real world difference over the 850 EVO and the 850 is a lot cheaper. The crucial mx500 is a good SSD as well and is generally pretty cheap.

I am not sure what your budget is or you reason for the 1600, but here is an optional build that would give you better fps and put you closer to the system you want to be. The i5 8400 is an excellent gaming CPU and is better than the 1600 and they are similarly priced. Using a gt 1030 will give you better fps in games than a 2200g.

This build below pairs a 8400 with a gt 1030. I changed some of the other components to keep pricing down, but these are still quality components. This system will give you better gaming performance than your system and you wont need to upgrade to a 1600 down the road. The build is only $20 more than yours. I would still consider it a budget rig, but with a better GPU down the road, it will easily be a solid mid range build.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cVWQdX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cVWQdX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($178.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot - Signature Line 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GT 1030 2GB Phoenix Fan OC Video Card ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $574.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-13 14:43 EDT-0400

QVLs are just a list of components that the manufacture tested and confirms worked with their motherboard. It is not list of the the only things that will work with the motherboard. There are simply way to many products, especially RAM, for them to do that.

As for the RAM speed problem, every motherboard has that problem. Its a driver problem from AMD, they fixed a lot of it but it can still happen. Stick to the QVL list for maximum safety.

For the SSDs. Any and all SSDs will work. Anything SATA based will work with any SATA based device. M2_1 will work with PCIe/NVME drives (the fastest ones), M2_2 will work with SATA based but M.2 sized devices.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Budget being irrelevant, why do you want a 2200 and then "upgrade"?
The money you lose on selling a used cpu, isnt much better then going with 1600
and a small gpu, later upgrade gpu (maybe keep other one as backup).

If you dont plan to oc the cpu, the x chip wouldn't bring much difference over a b370,
but i prefer going with it anyway as the quality/parts are usually a bit better and tend to last longer.

Save the money for the ssd (get a samsung/toshiba/crucial nvme later),
and get a larger hdd for now.

Ram should be around 3000 to 3200, as ryzen gets a bit slowed down with sub 3000mhz ram.

What about psu?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7pNb29

mixingplaids

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017

Thank you for your reply! In terms of gaming and streaming at the same time could this setup do it?
I've been completely blinded by Ryzen value since looking into pc building about a week ago. Could you recommend a case with better airflow or is that case the best value?
What would be my immediate upgrade priorities?

mixingplaids

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry if it sounded contradicting, what I mean is I don't want a budget setup for parts, I just wanted to use the 2200g apu for gaming until I could afford to buy a cpu and gpu in a couple months, without suffering with budget parts I would have to upgrade later when I got the cpu and gpu. Hopefully that makes more sense.
I listed a psu I was looking at but I'm not really sure what's good, apparently my watts stay under 300 even with my planned combo of the r5 1600 and gtx 1060. I put the 550w gold there cause the reviews.

A link would be appreciated if you have a better idea!

Keep in mind my end goal is to stream and game at the same time at watchable settings.

mixingplaids

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017

Thank you!

Admittedly, I am a case snob, but with that being said, I would not put a $500 rig in a $125 case. There is nothing wrong with the Corsair case you selected, but I think it is too much for the system. Phanteks makes great cases, even their lower end cases, such as the P300, are very good. The P300 only comes with one exhaust fan, but you can easily add a couple of intake fans at the front that will increase airflow just fine. You could also go with the P400 as it has one exhaust and one intake. That should be enough to get you started.

Fractal Design makes some good cases as well, for the type of system you are building the Fractal Design Meshify C will be good and has good air flow. A step down would be the Fractal Focus G as it also has good airflow.

Since you are wanting to stream, it can change things a little. The 8400 will be and adequate streamer, but not as good as the AMD 1600/2600. So there is a trade off. Better streaming performance or better gaming performance. If this were my system, I would not build the 1600. I would either go with the 2600x or the 8400. The gap in gaming performance at 1080p from the 8400 and the 1600 is about 20%. That is a fairly sizable jump. While the better clocks of the 2600x really closes the gap. The issue comes to cost. The 2600x cost more than the 8400, if you forgo the updating bios headache and get a x470 motherboard, then the board will be more, and the higher speed RAM needed for Ryzen CPUs will cost more. So the 2600x cost a good bit more when it is all said and done.

Here is a decent build for a 2600x, but it is a good bit more than your first build and the 8400 will still game better. Maybe not stream as well, but it will be acceptable. Good luck!

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cbdh7W
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cbdh7W/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GT 1030 2GB Phoenix Fan OC Video Card ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $684.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-13 15:53 EDT-0400

Solution

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Anything below 1080ti will bottleneck on the gpu, so going intel wont improve gaming
unless its below 1080p and/or high fps (+100hz screen).

Besides that, everything else gets more optimized for multi core, so sticking with intel
is gonna make less sense if you gonna keep it for a while.
And you can also drop not only a bigger, but also newer ryzen in there..

By the time games require more than quad core CPUs, none of these CPUs will be viable for gaming. Quad core CPUs have been mainstream for more than a decade and games are just now using those cores. 6 ad 8 core CPUs have only been mainstream for a year.

If gaming is your primary focus, then Intel has the edge. But AMD is not far behind and they are much better productivity task. It is like comparing a Ferrari and Lamborghini. They are both great CPUs and you really cant go wrong with either choice.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
There is more running on a rig, than just the game (internet/antivirus etc)
Means i can make use of more cores even if the game itself doesnt.
And just because quad cores were enough for a decade, doesnt mean it will take another 10y until game improvements will have an impact.
How long did we have SD res on tvs? How long FHD? Now its UHD and some companies are looking at 8K..

As soon as you play at 1440p or 4k, there is zero gain going intel,
and most of the time even makes it worse.
A friend switched from 4C/8T intel to 8C/16T ryzen and now gets better
Min/avg frames playing 1440p@144hz with a 1080Ti.

So far the only ppl still saying different are the ones that haven't used/build a ryzen rig.

Same for F vs L. so far i know less than 10 ppl that can drive their Ferrari up to what the car can do, but everyone i met in a small Lambo club (near Frankfurt; about 30 members) can, including the women.. ;)

I have a 1950x, so I think I can comment on experience with Ryzen rigs. I also have a 8700k, so I can commend based on experience with coffee lake as well.

Not sure why you are bringing up 4k and 1440p, I recommended going with a 1030 over a 2200g. So 4k and 1440p is out.

It takes years to design games and game developers make games that everyone can play. Look at Fortnite, it is the most popular game in the world and runs on a potato. It will be a decade until games minimum requirements are 6 core/12 thread CPUs. In fact, until consoles are released with a CPU that has more than 8 threads, 8 will be more than enough. This is why there is very little performance difference between a 7700k and a 8700k. Beyond the 8 threads, there is no impact.

You are right, there is more to a rig than gaming, this is why I recommended a 6 core CPU. If it is in the OPs budget, I would go with the 2600x over the 8400, it just cost more to do so.

Not sure what you mean about the Lambo club, I am more of an American muscle car myself :) I am too big to fit in either a Ferrari or a Lambo and will never own/drive one. The point of the analogy is they are both excellent CPUs and you cant go wrong with either. In my opinion, anyone that says either CPU is a clear winner is either misinformed or has a bias.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Sure, pure gaming yeah.
Then i look at ppl that actually buy 250+$ cpus, and they usually dont tend to play minecraft @480p on a 19".

My problem is that in that price range, the amd is the better deal AND the better cpu,
except when running below 1440p and/or high fps, where intel is still a bit faster.