[SOLVED] Ryzen 3 3100, 3 3300X or Ryzen 5 1600 AF?

Mar 19, 2020
I was wondering which is the best option for my budget gaming PC. They're both the exact same price where I live (€109). Oh, and the Ryzen 3 3300X is also an option for €130. Worth the higher price?

Solution
What motherboard are you buying and are you brave enough to Overclock? Will you be getting a seperate CPU cooler?
1600AF can be easily OC to 4.0GHz All cores, Plus it's 6c/12t so it will handle CPU Intensive games better, or atleast will never bottleneck a GPU. It will give you ~10% less gaming FPS than 3300X but will have more cores, more room to breathe and multitask. Probably won't even hit more than 70% usage in any game currently on the market and future games as well.

3100 is not worth it when you can spend a bit more for 3300X atleast if you plan to game, otherwise yeah both have very similar performance outside of gaming. It only makes sense if you're strapped for cash.

3300X is a great choice but ends up to 90%+ usage in a...
What motherboard are you buying and are you brave enough to Overclock? Will you be getting a seperate CPU cooler?
1600AF can be easily OC to 4.0GHz All cores, Plus it's 6c/12t so it will handle CPU Intensive games better, or atleast will never bottleneck a GPU. It will give you ~10% less gaming FPS than 3300X but will have more cores, more room to breathe and multitask. Probably won't even hit more than 70% usage in any game currently on the market and future games as well.

3100 is not worth it when you can spend a bit more for 3300X atleast if you plan to game, otherwise yeah both have very similar performance outside of gaming. It only makes sense if you're strapped for cash.

3300X is a great choice but ends up to 90%+ usage in a select few games and that number will only increase as we move into 2021. I'd say 4c/8t will be Minimum spec gaming in late 2021 because PS5/Xbox is now pushing 8c/16t into the market and more developers will make use of more cores from now on. Will give the best gaming performance out of all the others BUT will be outdated in ~2 years Max. I recommend this if you already plan to update your rig in ~1-2 years but if you wanna make a system that you would rather not upgrade for a longer time then this is not it.

Solution
From the those 3 options I would either get the 3300X or the 1600AF.

If you are only going to game only and you want the highest FPS for the little money then the R3 3300X should be the way to go.

If you do some work with your PC that may require more horse power in the way of Threads, then the 1600AF will be the one I'll pick. Another reason to pick this one is if you like to play and stream and you don't have an nvidia gpu, then the more cores and threads the smoother experience.

Mar 19, 2020

3300X is a great choice but ends up to 90%+ usage in a select few games and that number will only increase as we move into 2021. I'd say 4c/8t will be Minimum spec gaming in late 2021 because PS5/Xbox is now pushing 8c/16t into the market and more developers will make use of more cores from now on. Will give the best gaming performance out of all the others BUT will be outdated in ~2 years Max. I recommend this if you already plan to update your rig in ~1-2 years but if you wanna make a system that you would rather not upgrade for a longer time then this is not it.

Thanks, this was very helpful. As I want to keep my PC for a long time, and overclocking makes me uncomfortable, I will go with the 1600 AF so it's also more suitable in the future.