[SOLVED] Ryzen 3 3100 or Ryzen 5 2600

serjj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
Hi everyone, planning to upgrade from my 2200g, which processor should I buy in these two? They are roughly the same price if I buy them in my country, I was thinking of the 2600 but I actually don't do edits that much, I also mostly play CSGO and other esports titled games.

Note: The 3300x isn't available in my country and my budget is also very limited as I am only a student.

Solution
If the 3100 and 2600 are similar prices for you, id reccomend going for the 2600.

They may have similar performance on becnhmarks, but having those extra 2 cores will give your build MUCH more versatility, even if its something as simple as having background apps running while your gaming (web browser open, spotify on, recording gaming sessions, streaming) all those experiences will be much smoother on 6 cores than 4 cores.

Also, certain games are more CPU intensive and will benefit more from more cores than better single core performance. A great example is MSFS2020. This game is super CPU intensive and really shines as you add more cores.

It really depends on what you wanna do with the build, but id seriously push for the 2600...
The Ryzen 3100 has better single core performance, and with 4/8 it is still more than enough for those type of light intensity games, or even very CPU intensive games. Consider, my 6700k still does a pretty admirable job when it comes to gaming, although I do plan to upgrade soon, and the 3100 has the same 4/8 cores/threads as what that has, so it's not far off from that kind of single core performance and actually has better threaded performance. Coming from the 2200g, it should be a pretty fair upgrade for the price.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
R5 2600 and R3 3100 have equal performance and it doesn't matter which one,
comparison: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-2600-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-3100/3955vsm1148404

Though, do note that with R3 3100, you need to update your BIOS if you don't have the latest one. And if BIOS update should be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked. In that sense R5 2600 is better choice since you don't need to update your BIOS for that CPU.

I don't agree. Passmark is a lot more reliable than "userbenchmark" and it shows better threaded performance on the 2600 but better single core performance on the 3100. The differences aren't staggering, but they are there, so overall that's fairly true but since those games likely benefit the MOST from four or fewer fast cores, the faster single core performance (Even if it's only minimal) of the 3100 is probably going to tell in that comparison.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-3100-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/3715vs3243

Probably it also matters, possibly even to a significant degree, what speed of memory is being used WITH either of these CPUs, and the 3100 is a lot more likely to actually work with higher speed memory than the 2600, so depending on what speed of memory you are going to run with it that could be an additional factor and consideration as well.

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
If the 3100 and 2600 are similar prices for you, id reccomend going for the 2600.

They may have similar performance on becnhmarks, but having those extra 2 cores will give your build MUCH more versatility, even if its something as simple as having background apps running while your gaming (web browser open, spotify on, recording gaming sessions, streaming) all those experiences will be much smoother on 6 cores than 4 cores.

Also, certain games are more CPU intensive and will benefit more from more cores than better single core performance. A great example is MSFS2020. This game is super CPU intensive and really shines as you add more cores.

It really depends on what you wanna do with the build, but id seriously push for the 2600 if the price is similar. I just went from a 1400 to a 2700 and its made a load of difference with my multi-tasking. Once my new GPU comes im going to add a second monitor.

Solution

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
i actually chose the 2700 over the 3600, and they were both 175$ when i was shopping.

Even though the 3600 beats out the 2700 in almost every benchmark, i will personally benefit from an 8 core processor more than a slightly superior 6 core CPU.

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
comparison: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-2600-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-3100/3955vsm1148404

Though, do note that with R3 3100, you need to update your BIOS if you don't have the latest one. And if BIOS update should be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked. In that sense R5 2600 is better choice since you don't need to update your BIOS for that CPU.

down voted for saying it doesnt matter.

it does matter, especially if hes not comfortable flashing BIOS to a newer version, like you mentioned.

This game is super CPU intensive
The problem with this reasoning is that the OP has already specified that they primarily play games that could run on a potato. The games like CS:GO and most eSports titles won't use more than one or two cores, leaving two physical cores and four hyperthreads for any windows or background processes. Truthfully, either CPU is fine. Choose whichever one is the least expensive. If you already have memory, and it is faster than 3200mhz, then go with the 3100 as it stands a better chance of actually running at that speed than does the 2600.

Reactions: King_V
down voted for saying it doesnt matter.

it does matter, especially if hes not comfortable flashing BIOS to a newer version, like you mentioned.
It is VERY unlikely to encounter ANY B450 motherboard that is not already updated to support the latest Ryzen CPUs. Especially since basically EVERY motherboard model was completely sold out at some point over the last four months. Unless you buy a board from somebody who had it sitting on the back shelf of their shop, it will come with an up to date BIOS version. So this is largely a very moot point, at this point.

Comment upvoted to return to normal status. Please do not up or down vote simply because you don't agree with something somebody says. Downvoting is to be used for when somebody says something that is just plain wrong, not to show your displeasure with what somebody has said because it's contrary to your beliefs. Abuse of the voting system is a sanctionable offense, so let's just use it as it was intended and avoid any unpleasantness.

Reactions: King_V

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
The problem with this reasoning is that the OP has already specified that they primarily play games that could run on a potato. The games like CS:GO and most eSports titles won't use more than one or two cores, leaving two physical cores and four hyperthreads for any windows or background processes. Truthfully, either CPU is fine. Choose whichever one is the least expensive. If you already have memory, and it is faster than 3200mhz, then go with the 3100 as it stands a better chance of actually running at that speed than does the 2600.

right, i was just using msfs as an example. and even though OP says he does mostly esports like CSGO, i always leave room for development :) peoples interests change as newer titles are released and even though its an older processor i feel like the 2600 is slightly more 'future proof' than the 3100.

But i second darkbreezes advice to go with whatevers cheaper! (unless your RAM is going to play a factor).

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It is VERY unlikely to encounter ANY B450 motherboard that is not already updated to support the latest Ryzen CPUs. Especially since basically EVERY motherboard model was completely sold out at some point over the last four months. Unless you buy a board from somebody who had it sitting on the back shelf of their shop, it will come with an up to date BIOS version. So this is largely a very moot point, at this point.

In relation to this, I would most certainly drop a line to the outlet from which you are buying and verify this. We all know the saying about assumption, and having a system not boot for making one like that would suck.
I have several times purchased motherboards that were "Ryzen such and such ready". They didn't mean it was BIOS flashed ready. They meant there was an upgradable BIOS available to make it ready. I keep a first gen around for all that ambivalence between some of the early chipsets...I am sure not everyone has that luxury.

Even IF, IF that were to happen, and currently the chances of it are about 1 in 300 (Or more, probably a lot more), it would STILL be very much possible to get a loaner CPU from AMD, or take it to any of thousands of repair shops or sales retailers who offer service, and have the BIOS flashed for a very modest fee of about ten to twenty bucks, last I checked. Honestly, this is a non-issue in all but the most unlucky of circumstances OR perhaps for those who live in remote regions and make their purchases from local shops. If you are ordering through any large retailer, zero chance this will happen at this stage in the game.

Reactions: punkncat

serjj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019

I've already updated the BIOS of my ASUS mobo using AI Suite.

serjj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
Thanks to all you guys, I've decided that I'll get the 2600 instead seeing that I would also like to record my gameplay in CSGO and maybe that'll motivate me to do edits for some highlights to show to my friends :D