Question Ryzen 3 3200g + B450-M + 2x8gb Ram or Ryzen 5 3400g + A320-M + 2x4gb Ram

Jul 20, 2020
Hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum, and as the title suggests, I'm asking what would be the better choice on building my first pc.

I plan on buying ryzen apus but I don't know which of these options to pick.
Ryzen 3 3200g with b450m mobo and 2x8gb ram
or
Ryzen 5 3400g with a320m mobo and only 2x4gb ram.

I have a really tight budget and I cant max out everything right now but I plan to upgrade in the future. I would be grateful with any opinions you may have that could help. Thank you

Last edited:
Hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum, and as the title suggests, I'm asking what would be the better choice on building my first pc.

I plan on buying ryzen apus but I don't know which of these options to pick.
Ryzen 3 3200g with b450m mobo and 2x8gb ram
or
Ryzen 5 3400g with a320m mobo and only 2x4gb ram.

I have a really tight budget and I cant max out everything right now but I plan to upgrade in the future. I would be grateful with any opinions you may have that could help. Thank you and cheers
I am assuming you want to play games with the machine? If yes the first option is probably your best bet - try to get ram with decent speed if you can find for a good price (DDR4 3200 would be best option) as the performance of the integrated gpu depends a lot on the speed of the system ram as it shares memory....

With that first setup you have the option to overclock - and overclocking the Vega 8 gpu on the 3200g will give a good performance boost. You won't be able to do this with an a320 motherboard. The B450 board is also better for supporting a better cpu for future upgrades.

The only downside to going with the 3200g is that you will need to replace the cpu in future to support a faster graphics card, as it's only 4 core / 4 thread (which is pretty limiting for modern games - it's enough to feed the integrated Vega 8 gpu but will hold most dedicated graphics cards back, the 3400g is better in this regard as it's 4 cores, 8 threads but its also not the best gaming cpu either).

Reactions: jdEgo
Jul 20, 2020
I am assuming you want to play games with the machine? If yes the first option is probably your best bet - try to get ram with decent speed if you can find for a good price (DDR4 3200 would be best option) as the performance of the integrated gpu depends a lot on the speed of the system ram as it shares memory....

With that first setup you have the option to overclock - and overclocking the Vega 8 gpu on the 3200g will give a good performance boost. You won't be able to do this with an a320 motherboard. The B450 board is also better for supporting a better cpu for future upgrades.

The only downside to going with the 3200g is that you will need to replace the cpu in future to support a faster graphics card, as it's only 4 core / 4 thread (which is pretty limiting for modern games - it's enough to feed the integrated Vega 8 gpu but will hold most dedicated graphics cards back, the 3400g is better in this regard as it's 4 cores, 8 threads but its also not the best gaming cpu either).
Thank you for the fast response.
Yes, I am mainly into gaming but I plan on trying streaming in the future as well that's why I considered getting a ryzen 5 3400g since i read its better on streaming than than the ryzen 3. I dont usually overclock and that's what made me consider the a320m option too but i guess getting better parts with better future upgrade paths would be better.
Cheers

Thank you for the fast response.
Yes, I am mainly into gaming but I plan on trying streaming in the future as well that's why I considered getting a ryzen 5 3400g since i read its better on streaming than than the ryzen 3. I dont usually overclock and that's what made me consider the a320m option too but i guess getting better parts with better future upgrade paths would be better.
Cheers
It might actually be best to wait a little before buying anything... AMD are about to launch a new generation of APU's based on the much faster Zen 2 core (in current Ryzen 3000 series desktop parts - the 3400g and 3200g are actually based on the older Zen + core of the Ryzen 2000 series).

These should be faster than either option, and hopefully will be a similar price (or might force a price drop on the 3200g and 3400g - in which case you may be able to afford the 3400g + B450 combo which would be the best option).

Reactions: jdEgo

ASK THE COMMUNITY