Jan 13, 2020
Hi,

Recently through a series of unfortunate events I’ve had to replace most of my pc components, picked up the Ryzen 3 3200g with the ASUS prime A320M-K

The bios update to use the Ryzen was done in store and all seemed ok, however my cpu often spikes to 100% and stays there. The new call of duty is the worst offender, assassins creed origins is bad too, locked at 100% cpu usage when doing the benchmark. Some games like rage 2 and doom 2016 run flawlessly though.

I’m pretty sure that’s not normal, and looking online at other performance data and benchmarks from this same cpu mine seems to be performing worse. Cinebench 20 gives me about 1290 something whereas online it says I should be getting closer to 1500, (my single core performance seems normal though, so that’s odd)

I’ve tried the ryzen balances power plan and it doesn’t appear to be thermal throttling or anything like that so I’m at a loss.

TLDR - underperforming ryzen 3 3200g, 100% cpu usage in certain games

Here is a link to my userbench results

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23619789

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Flag #1:
Check the health of those Seagate storage drives with this: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller
If that checks out fine, then look into how you can make some more space. Storage drives slow down when they get over 75% full.
Kinda nuts, innit? Even though there's space left, you're not really meant to use it all...

Flag #2: Slow ram.
Surely by now you've seen at least one topic/article about Ryzen's performance with faster memory kits? 3200-3600 is the sweet spot for simple plug-n-play. Advanced users can take advantage of 3733-3800.

my cpu often spikes to 100% and stays there. The new call of duty is the worst offender...
Ryzen 3200g is a 4 core/4 thread cpu. Runs terribly on multiplayer games, which are cpu heavy. A Ryzen 2400g/3400g(4c/8t) at least, would've been a better investment.
Campaign mode isn't so hard on the 3200g, but that's not why you got that game...

assassins creed origins is bad too, locked at 100% cpu usage when doing the benchmark.
That's another multiplayer game, isn't it(I don't actually know)? Either way, the game isn't too light on cpu resources: https://support.ubisoft.com/en-US/faqs/000031268/System-Requirements-of-Assassin-s-Creed-Origins
Your cpu's weaker than the recommended I7-3770 for 1080p high! And yes, I see that you're running on 4K - the cpu horsepower required for 4K isn't going to be much higher than that, if at all.
Being edged out only because the 3770 has 4 extra threads.
Oh, and AC: O's benchmark, as I've heard, is actually harder to run than the game itself... so, as for how useful that is...

Some games like rage 2 and doom 2016 run flawlessly though.
Single player, right?

I’m pretty sure that’s not normal, and looking online at other performance data and benchmarks from this same cpu mine seems to be performing worse.
From what I've observed so far, it is normal.
Those other benchmarks and whatnot need to include a warning for 'individual results will vary'...

Cinebench 20 gives me about 1290 something whereas online it says I should be getting closer to 1500, (my single core performance seems normal though, so that’s odd)
Gimped by the slow memory, most likely.

TL;DR: Your PC, is for the most part, performing as expected.
If you had gone the extra mile on purchasing an SMT(AMD's version of Intel's Hyperthreading) cpu, and a higher frequency, 2 dimm memory kit, you would've avoided most of the issues you're currently experiencing.