Question Ryzen 3 3200G or R5 2400G?

chiken_VEVO

Commendable
Sep 28, 2019
Hey everyone. So I've been searching for the components of my second build so far, which will be a PC for my dad's work.

I've decided to go with the R3 3200G for the time being, but after finding out that I had a bit more budget to spend, I decided to also consider the R5 2400G (it is 60 euros more in my country). Either case, I will of course use some really fast G.Skill Value 16GB 3000Mhz RAM in two sticks. Surprisingly though, according to all the benchmarks I've seen so far, the R3 3200G defeats the R5 (base clocks) slightly in all sectors except 8 core performance.

The main programs my dad will be using will be FXpro cTrader along with multiple Chrome Tabs open simultaneously at all times, along with maybe Excel or Word.

Would these programs guarantee giving in the extra 60 euros in order to get the R5? Should I even ditch the Ryzen processors entirely and get an Intel CPU along with a cheap discrete GPU (my dad works with at least 2 screens by the way)?

Thanks a lot in advance.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I personally use Intel for purpose built office machines. It's not that I think the R3 or 5 wouldn't do as well, or even "better"?

Would likely look into an i5 9400 (10xxx?) just as a pricing option/alternative.

I would say that, as a build, the only thing that gripes me about Ryzen is the BIOS research to have to do to see what is compatible and it's wanting higher speed RAM.

I believe the R5 2400 will be the best buy, specially if you want a PC thats really responsive and that can handle many tasks at once. 8 threads vs 4 threads I would go the 8 threads path everyday.

As for RAM considering youre not going to play games, I would said DDR4 3000 is kinda fine as long as the timing are really tight, but honestly many decent DDR4 3200 kits are usally at the same price, I would really pick a Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 CL16; G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16; Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 CL16; or Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 CL16 kit instead.

As for the dual display as long as the motherboard have atleast 2 video conectors it should work fine. Keep in mind some motherboards bring for example DVI-D + HDMI ports, so you may need some adapter.

chiken_VEVO

Commendable
Sep 28, 2019
I believe the R5 2400 will be the best buy, specially if you want a PC thats really responsive and that can handle many tasks at once. 8 threads vs 4 threads I would go the 8 threads path everyday.

As for RAM considering youre not going to play games, I would said DDR4 3000 is kinda fine as long as the timing are really tight, but honestly many decent DDR4 3200 kits are usally at the same price, I would really pick a Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 CL16; G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16; Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 CL16; or Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 CL16 kit instead.

As for the dual display as long as the motherboard have atleast 2 video conectors it should work fine. Keep in mind some motherboards bring for example DVI-D + HDMI ports, so you may need some adapter.

Thanks for your help. Also, all the RAM sticks that I've found have CL16 timings, so I don't think I'll have a problem with that.

chiken_VEVO

Commendable
Sep 28, 2019
I personally use Intel for purpose built office machines. It's not that I think the R3 or 5 wouldn't do as well, or even "better"?

Would likely look into an i5 9400 (10xxx?) just as a pricing option/alternative.

I would say that, as a build, the only thing that gripes me about Ryzen is the BIOS research to have to do to see what is compatible and it's wanting higher speed RAM.

Unfortunately, Intel have stripped all newer F Series CPUs of their iGPUs (such as the i5 9400 that you're suggesting), so that and anything even more expensive unfortunately not viable considering my budget of 500 euros.

The only other Intel CPU that I can afford with an iGPU included is the i3-9350K, which according to the benchmarks I've seen is about 28% faster than the R5 2400G... Do you think it's worth the switch?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In US market I see the i5 9400 (non F) as $20 more than the R5 3400G.
I would be willing to bet that savings could readily be realized on a mobo or RAM selection. Intel isn't nearly as finicky on RAM selection as AMD.

With the above all said, I personally use a Ryzen 7 2700X as my main work and gaming system. I utilize Adobe a lot for .pdf and didn't really feel like the Intel was going to serve me well. In spite of that the last office machine I built was an 8400 on 32MB of RAM (etc.), it sits with 20+ tabs open, 'books', dropbox, word, excel and gets restarted about once a moon cycle. It just works well.

Dec 16, 2019
Honestly, the Ryzen 5 2400G's multi-core performance is terrible compared to the i5-9400f, even with more threads. So just get the i5-9400.

Ryzen 5 2400G Cinebench R20
Single core:391
Multi core:1922

i5-9400f Cinebench R20
Single core:423
Multi-core:2407

Last edited:
The Ryzen 3 3200G would be better for gaming.
The Ryzen 5 2400G would be better for productivity.
The i5-9400F would be the better pick, although it comes at a price premium, although Ryzen will work better with faster RAM, which is slightly more expensive.
The AM4 platform offers more flexibility in terms of upgrades.
Ryzen has a 3-year warranty instead of 1 year.
Intel is better for the Adobe suite.
The higher core count in the 2400G, is the "most" "future-proof" solution out of the three.

Pick which ever suits your budget but it's more of a 2400G vs 9400F situation for me.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. So I've been searching for the components of my second build so far, which will be a PC for my dad's work.

I've decided to go with the R3 3200G for the time being, but after finding out that I had a bit more budget to spend, I decided to also consider the R5 2400G (it is 60 euros more in my country). Either case, I will of course use some really fast G.Skill Value 16GB 3000Mhz RAM in two sticks. Surprisingly though, according to all the benchmarks I've seen so far, the R3 3200G defeats the R5 (base clocks) slightly in all sectors except 8 core performance.

The main programs my dad will be using will be FXpro cTrader along with multiple Chrome Tabs open simultaneously at all times, along with maybe Excel or Word.

Would these programs guarantee giving in the extra 60 euros in order to get the R5? Should I even ditch the Ryzen processors entirely and get an Intel CPU along with a cheap discrete GPU (my dad works with at least 2 screens by the way)?

Thanks a lot in advance.
2400G has 4 core/8 threads while the 3200G is 4core/4 thread. With a lot of Chrome tabs open and the trading platform running I have to think the 2400G's extra SMT threads would be more valuable. I imagine he'll also have some other apps open, e.g., e-mail.

I don't think he'll be interested in 3D performance, mainly useful for gaming, so the iGPU's would be a wash most likely.

Another thing to consider, if you can hold off, are 3100X and 3300X CPU's. Full Zen2 implementation for even better performance but you'd also need a separate discrete GPU. You might have one that's good enough for his purposes already, though, if he's not interested in gaming.

Reactions: chiken_VEVO
Dec 16, 2019
The Ryzen 3 3200G would be better for gaming.
The Ryzen 5 2400G would be better for productivity.
The i5-9400F would be the better pick, although it comes at a price premium, although Ryzen will worl better with faster RAM, which is slightly more expensive.
The AM4 platform offers more flexibility in terms of upgrades.
Ryzen has a 3-year warranty instead of 1 year.
Intel is better for the Adobe suite.
The higher core count in the 2400G, is the "most" "future-proof" solution out of the three.

Pick which ever suits your budget but it's more of a 2400G vs 9400F situation for me.

Good luck.
It's not more "future proof" than the i5-9400f because physical cores are better than hyperthreading(6/6 wins to 4/8)

If you only think about performance then any Core i5 will won against AMD Zen APUs (zen+ is another story).

It does not change the fact that any decent B450 motherboard will be more "future proof" as a platform cause you have lots of budget awesome choices to upgrade later on.

If the OP choose to go the Ryzen 5 2400G (thats zen architecture) then OP would be able to upgrade to zen+ and zen2 and by the end of year to zen3 (this last one it seems is not going to posible for now). Thats why I believe AMD a better choice now.

You go buy a Core i5 9400 and the only upgradebale path is buy more expensive Core i7/i9 9xxx cpus, that will get even more expensive as soon as owners of Core i5 9xxx realize they can't upgrade to the new 14nm++++ node (unless they change once again thier motherboards) thats it launching later this month.

Last edited:
Reactions: chiken_VEVO