Question Ryzen 3 3200g overclock

Jimcuchim

Reputable
Feb 25, 2019
So I'm building a PC and I'm wondering if a ryzen 3 3200g can overclock
Also if you have any recommendation I would really appreciate it. :) I'm new to this PC world
CPU: R3 3200g
GPU: Asus Radeon RX 570 Strix OC 4GB
Mother board: ASRock B450M Pro4-F
RAM: 8GBx2 3000 MHz
PSU: Aerocool LUX RGB 550W 80 Plus Bronze - Semi Modular
SSD: 128GB M.2 NVME

Reactions: aneshamdani9

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
  • The 3200G can overclock yes, but generally there is not much need to. The Ryzen 3rd Gen did an pretty good job on the boosting capabilities of the chips, so there aren't drastically better results from overclocking before moving into ranges that could cause instability. But that's your choice, you'd want to make sure you have a decent MB and PSU behind it regardless.
  • Also remember the B450M Pro4 is not out of the box compatible with the 3200G, and you'll need to ensure that it has BIOS 1.4 prior to shipping, otherwise you'd need to find a way to update the BIOS yourself.
  • I'd get a better PSU, most Aerocool PSUs are poor quality.
  • You don't HAVE to get a NVME SSD if you don't want to, it won't offer a performance gain in most applications and a SATA one can be cheaper. If you do too, it may be worth upping your storage capacity otherwise 128 will fill up in no time depending on what you are using it for.
  • If you can, upping RAM to 3200 will also have a bit of a performance boost, 3200 is generally the price/performance sweet spot for 3000 series Ryzen.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The 3200G can overclock yes, but generally there is not much need to. The Ryzen 3rd Gen did an pretty good job on the boosting capabilities of the chips, so there aren't drastically better results from overclocking before moving into ranges that could cause instability.
Keep in mind that 3000 series APUs are not the same architecture as the other Ryzen 3000 CPUs. The APUs are sill Zen+ on 12 nm, which had a little more OC headroom. Still nothing spectacular though.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor
So I'm building a PC and I'm wondering if a ryzen 3 3200g can overclock
Also if you have any recommendation I would really appreciate it. :) I'm new to this PC world
CPU: R3 3200g
GPU: Asus Radeon RX 570 Strix OC 4GB
Mother board: ASRock B450M Pro4-F
RAM: 8GBx2 3000 MHz
PSU: Aerocool LUX RGB 550W 80 Plus Bronze - Semi Modular
SSD: 128GB M.2 NVME
CPU: R3 3200g - If youre getting that GPU, Why don't you get a Ryzen 5 2600 with 6 cores and 12 threads?, instead of this Ryzen 3200G with only 4 cores and 4 threads, is the same architecture like TJ Hooker wrote.
Really a Ryzen 3 3200G with only 4c/4t in 2019 doesn't make any sense on a gaming PC.

And yes for the small diference, just get some DDR4 3200MHz.

Also, the Ryzen 5 2600 will be compatible out of the box with the mothebroard you choosed.

If you really wana go with the 3rd Gen Ryzen, pick the Ryzen 5 3600 instead (it is more expensive, and you will need a BIOS update before using it with that motherboard).

And PC Tailor is right about the PSU, could be a: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na instead

Last edited: