[SOLVED] Ryzen 3 3200G stepping stone, please help

May 4, 2020
Hello, I want to build a pc with
Ryzen 5 3600
Msi B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Ac
Msi RX 5700 XT Mech OC
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)
Antec 650W HCG 80+ Gold

But I'm currently shorting alot of money so instead of getting the cpu and gpu I want to get the Ryzen 3 3200G which ill save me about R9 000(ZAR). I want to know it this a good idea or just stupid.

How does this card perform and whether or not I should overclock the card to get max performance.

And I'm guessing I should first buy the gpu and then the cpu when I have the money as the 3200G can be used with the gpu?

Or should I just buy the Ryzen 5 3400G an keep it as my processor and then just add a gpu later?

Looking to play fortnite or warzone on it in the meanwhile.

Please help and advise.

Last edited:
Solution
You're comparing totally different ends of the spectrum.

The 3200G is an entry level offering, so make sure your expectations are kept realistic.

The 3200G could pair well enough with the 5700XT (or similar) once you raise the money, sure..... but how long do you anticipate that being?

I don't know too much about SA pricing, but perhaps there's a better (or at least different) solution?
For example, perhaps a Ryzen5 1600 or 2600, paired with a cheaper motherboard & more 'budget' GPU (1650Super, 5500XT, as examples) might serve you better? The IPC gains of 3000 series Ryzen can't be denied, but something like a 1600/2600 will still pair very well with higher end GPUs, while the combo with a more budget GPU would give you much better...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

The 3200G is an entry level offering, so make sure your expectations are kept realistic.

The 3200G could pair well enough with the 5700XT (or similar) once you raise the money, sure..... but how long do you anticipate that being?

I don't know too much about SA pricing, but perhaps there's a better (or at least different) solution?
For example, perhaps a Ryzen5 1600 or 2600, paired with a cheaper motherboard & more 'budget' GPU (1650Super, 5500XT, as examples) might serve you better? The IPC gains of 3000 series Ryzen can't be denied, but something like a 1600/2600 will still pair very well with higher end GPUs, while the combo with a more budget GPU would give you much better performance in the interim?

Solution
May 4, 2020

For example, perhaps a Ryzen5 1600 or 2600, paired with a cheaper motherboard & more 'budget' GPU (1650Super, 5500XT, as examples) might serve you better? The IPC gains of 3000 series Ryzen can't be denied, but something like a 1600/2600 will still pair very well with higher end GPUs, while the combo with a more budget GPU would give you much better performance in the interim?
With the 3200G I can get it for like R1500 where as a cheap gpu and cheaper cpu will be about R7000.

And seeing I’m a student and we’re in lockdown I can’t work for money so will probably only upgrade to end of the year maybe next year Jan.

And what do I do with the old tech if I upgrade?

Thats why I thought 3200G would be good as its cheap and I’ve ssen it run fortnite for example at 60fps which isn’t bad.