[SOLVED] Ryzen 3 3200G updated graphics drivers not being used?

Oct 23, 2019
I just built a new PC, installed Windows, ran Windows Update until there are no more updates. Then, I checked Device Manager and found that there are no more unrecognized devices. I have a:

Ryzen 3 3200G
MSI B450M Mortar Max

I decided to just use the drivers that Windows installed and not get the drivers from MSI's website (not sure if this is okay). I wanted to update the graphics drivers though.
In the Device Manager, I checked Display Adapter > Vega 8 Graphics and found the driver version to be 26.20.xxxxx. I then downloaded and installed the latest WHQL driver from AMD, which is 20.4.2.

However, even after installing it (Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2), Device Manager > Display Adapter > Vega 8 Graphics still shows driver version 26.20.xxxxx. The Radeon Software panel shows 20.4.2 though.
Was there something wrong in my installation / update process or am I just looking at a different thing?

Solution
You're advised to not let Windows download it's own drivers. Instead you're advised to download the necessary drivers for your motherboard and GPU from your manufacturer's support site(AMD+ASRock) and manually install the latest drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You might also want to see which BIOS version your motherboard is on at the moment. Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and manually install the drivers found off of AMD's support site.

Lutfij

Titan
You're advised to not let Windows download it's own drivers. Instead you're advised to download the necessary drivers for your motherboard and GPU from your manufacturer's support site(AMD+ASRock) and manually install the latest drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You might also want to see which BIOS version your motherboard is on at the moment. Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and manually install the drivers found off of AMD's support site.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

TRENDING THREADS