[SOLVED] Ryzen 3 3200g voltage problem

Dec 28, 2020
My current build is a ryzen 5 1400, b450 tomahawk max, rx 570, I recently got a ryzen 3 3200g from a friend for free but had 3 bent pins, i fixed it and put it in but when in bios the voltage said it was automatically at like ~1.41v, this caused it to be about 5c higher than my ryzen 5 1400 which in bios said it was at about 1.2v. This was without any overclocking at all. Also my hyperx fury ram caused the ryzen 3 to cause the system to not boot but my oem ram from crucial worked fine I’m unsure why this is the case.

Solution
Ryzen 1400 and 3200G are not the same architecture. They don't work the same way, respond the same way, use the same voltages or even the same bios settings. Apples and oranges.

The Ryzen 3200G has boost capabilities not found in the 1400, Precision Boost, and uses cores differently at idle under that boost. It's going to have different voltages, the same way any different generation of cpus does.

The only problem is see here is with perception, that just because it's a Ryzen it should adhere to a standard of voltage. That's not the case.
My current build is a ryzen 5 1400, b450 tomahawk max, rx 570, I recently got a ryzen 3 3200g from a friend for free but had 3 bent pins, i fixed it and put it in but when in bios the voltage said it was automatically at like ~1.41v, this caused it to be about 5c higher than my ryzen 5 1400 which in bios said it was at about 1.2v. This was without any overclocking at all. Also my hyperx fury ram caused the ryzen 3 to cause the system to not boot but my oem ram from crucial worked fine I’m unsure why this is the case.
Did you clear your bios well switching out cpu's clearing your old cpuid from your bios history?

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen 1400 and 3200G are not the same architecture. They don't work the same way, respond the same way, use the same voltages or even the same bios settings. Apples and oranges.

The Ryzen 3200G has boost capabilities not found in the 1400, Precision Boost, and uses cores differently at idle under that boost. It's going to have different voltages, the same way any different generation of cpus does.

The only problem is see here is with perception, that just because it's a Ryzen it should adhere to a standard of voltage. That's not the case.

Solution
Dec 28, 2020

Yea while I do understand that they are completely different cpus, most other who do overclock their ryzen 3 3200g’s (from online sources) go up to usually 1.38v, I’m not trying to overclock and the automatic precision boost wouldn’t use 1.41v to my knowledge. I just find it weird that I’m using more volts than other who are trying to overclock their ryzen 3’s.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Yea while I do understand that they are completely different cpus, most other who do overclock their ryzen 3 3200g’s (from online sources) go up to usually 1.38v, I’m not trying to overclock and the automatic precision boost wouldn’t use 1.41v to my knowledge. I just find it weird that I’m using more volts than other who are trying to overclock their ryzen 3’s.

If the CPU is on stock, it knows what its doing. When you don't overclock, it has a voltage fitness regulator that determines and gives the safe voltage for the current load to the CPU.
Once you start manually OCing, you turn off any safety features/power saving features, and YOU'RE to decide what's safe for the CPU or not.

You're worrying over nothing. Ryzens are more advanced than Intel CPUs. Leave it on stock.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen can use anywhere upto 1.5v, my 3700x generally uses anywhere upto 1.47v at stock values, especially under single core use. Much of the differences are due to bios differences, board differences, chipsets etc. And there's a big difference between SVI2 voltage, cpu (vcore) voltage and VID, so what exact terminology and voltage is read, can also depend on the software.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS