[SOLVED] Ryzen 3 APU and B350 motherboard wont POST

AJ Kenway

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Good day!

I recently bought a 2200G and a Asus Prime B350 Plus. I tried to make it POST but I got no signal nor does the speaker give out any code. Is this normal? Do i have to let it run for a few minutes? All LEDs are lit and the CPU fan isn't ramping up wildly. Only the 24 Pin and CPU power is plugged in

NOTE: I have no RAM installed. Im too busy to buy one at the moment and i wanted to test of the 2 components that i have are working.

Side Note: Im upgrading from Haswell. Last AMD CPU I used was Trinity, paired with an FM2+ board so I know absolutely nothing about AM4 except for DDR4 and that it has the same mounting clips for CPU coolers

Solution
Well then, you should be able to get it operational enough to flash a newer BIOS on it for better memory support. But you'll need RAM first. Thankfully RAM prices are coming down. Whether or not a board beeps codes or flashes lights to tell you "no RAM" varies by board. You'd have to look in the manual. Just don't bother tuning anything or enabling memory profiles until you get the latest BIOS flashed.

Are you planning on using a discrete GPU or the iGPU? If you're using the iGPU get some fast RAM. If not, it's not a dual CCX setup so even some fairly cheap~2666 or so RAM would be fine.
First off You must have to add RAM to test your PC. Without this you can't able to test.

And 1 more thing does your Motherboard comes with Updated BIOS. If no then you will not able to boot.

I suggest you to Buy B450 motherboard. Because b450 Is true 2nd gen Ryzen board. B350 will also work but with only latest bios.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Yeah as wildcard said, has to have a compatible BIOS. I picked up a B350 board for my dad a while back (before B450 boards hit the market) and made sure it was "Ryzen 2000 ready" (sticker on the box). I still flashed it for better RAM support but it at least had a new enough BIOS to get me operational. Does your box have any kind of Ryzen 2000 sticker on it?

If I was buying a board today I'd probably just snag a B450 instead, about $10 difference - but as they say what is done is done. It's not like it's an unrecoverable mistake. If whoever you bought the board from won't take it back, you can see if they'll flash it for you. If not, contact Asus and see if they'll flash your board. Failing that you would need to borrow an older model APU (or a CPU + GPU) - maybe AMD is still offering their boot kit loaners? Either way this gives you time to get the RAM in, because you'll need that too.

AJ Kenway

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
The box that it came with has a "Ryzen 2000 series ready" sticker on the front of it. I just wanted it to atleast detect that i dont have RAM but the speaker does not spit out any code. Aren't new PC components now able to flash text that say "no memory detected"? I think it does back in the P55 chipset days

alextheblue

Distinguished
Well then, you should be able to get it operational enough to flash a newer BIOS on it for better memory support. But you'll need RAM first. Thankfully RAM prices are coming down. Whether or not a board beeps codes or flashes lights to tell you "no RAM" varies by board. You'd have to look in the manual. Just don't bother tuning anything or enabling memory profiles until you get the latest BIOS flashed.

Are you planning on using a discrete GPU or the iGPU? If you're using the iGPU get some fast RAM. If not, it's not a dual CCX setup so even some fairly cheap~2666 or so RAM would be fine.

Solution

AJ Kenway

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

Thanks for the response! I got it working with RAM now so yeah.

Recently bought a single stick of 8GB Hyperx Fury 2400MHz. I overclocked it to 3.2GHz and it worked so flawlessly to the point that i'm in love with it. Gonna buy 3 more 8 GB sticks in the future but i will buy one next month for me to be able to take full advantage of dual channel.

I will be using iGPU for now because i dont see any decent cards coming out soon. I will wait for Navi and HOPEFULLY! they'll have a replacement for the 570 or 580. I just dont feel like spending 200USD for a 2-3 year old architecture. I dont want to use Nvidia because they are too expensive. I think Nvidia is copying Apple at this point

alextheblue

Distinguished

Two identical (or as close as you can get) sticks of RAM are important for good results. With that being said, I would hesitate to recommend 4. You might not like your overclocking results with 4 sticks. Then again if you do eventually go with 4 sticks you could just lower your clocks a bit and use an iGPU, problem solved.

580 is still a very good card, by the way. It should last you quite a while, especially in a budget gaming rig (not knocking you, I rarely get high-end components). I wouldn't hesitate to buy one... it's got roughly 5X (or so) the raw power and bandwidth of your iGPU (assuming dual channel). We don't know when consumer Navi is going to hit the market, and early cards probably won't be in the $200 range.

Also I've seen decent-looking 8GB RX 580 cards for ~$190 minus a $20 MIR. Sometimes they go on sale for even less. Meanwhile an also-very-competent RX 570 4GB can be had NEW for as low as $145.

RX 580 8GB example:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131720&Description=rx%20580&cm_re=rx_580-_-14-131-720-_-Product
RX570 4GB example:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131717&Description=rx%20570&cm_re=rx_570-_-14-131-717-_-Product

Food for thought. There are some decent Nvidia cards in those price ranges too, but if you want AMD those are some very solid and affordable options.