[SOLVED] Ryzen 3 or 5 for integrated graphics in 2019?

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
Ok, so, here is I, the average gamer. I have a i7-7700 / 1060 3GB built, and that is in a mid tower. But that problem with said computer is that it’s not very portable. So I’m thinking to buy a cheap, little, and portable mini itx-pc. It will be used to play games at friends, like vanilla Minecraft and Crossout / CS:GO. And it'll dub as a HTPC (just for YouTube and online TV when im in bed).

Here's the build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (€79,05)
CPU cooler: Xilence XC040 (€24,95)
Motherboard: Asrock B450 GAMING-ITX/AC (€109,95)
Mem: Kingston DDR4 HyperX FURY Black 1x8GB 2666 (€38,99)
Storage: Kingston A400 480GB SSD (€54,-)
GPU:
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX (€38,04)
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 Full Modular PSU (€65,05)

There is no GPU, so I'm able to go a bit more expensive for a CPU with integrated graphics.

This build totalls to: €410,48 (€425,48 when I include a HDMI to DVI-D adapter, since the spare monitor I have left over only supports DVI-D and VGA). I was kinda satisfied with the budget, and I didn't want to go higher.

The big problem here:
I am an Intel-person, and have no understanding about AMD.
So is it still worth it buying a Ryzen 3 2200G with RX Vega 8 to get a stable 40-60FPS (if possible), or should I upgrade to an Ryzen 5 3400G with RX Vega 11?
If the Ryzen 5 is a better option: I'm willing to up my budget.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
whats the price of 2400 g ? its alil stronger. you should get 2x4 gb instead of 8gb ram for dual channel ram.
i Think you could cut down on the price of the motherboard for a budget board from asus or gigabyte. for a budget build you really need b450 motherboard?
for example asus a320m-k .

Last edited:
The price for the 2400G is €119,05. Is the dual channel 2x4GB really nessecary? This makes it €12,- more expensive. Not a big fan of that..
EDITED: to add more crap...

TL/DR: 2x4Gb is really necessary and, actually inadequate, unless all you plan on running on the machine is mild web crawling and light desktop apps. There's an even cheaper processor if your use plans don't involve gaming.

The internal GPU gets it video memory from main memory so you really need to have enough there, and as fast as possible, to make it fly. Modern game titles, which a 3400Gb is certainly capable of playing at appropriate settings, really need at least 16Gb so 2x8Gb is what you should get if possible. And as fast as you can get so try for 3000 Mtps (1500 Mhz) speed if you can.

If all you plan on using this thing for is web crawling, email, mild desktop apps like word processing and spreadsheets and maybe limited image editing then you could get by on 2x4 Gb comfortably enough. And in which case you might find additional savings with an Athlon 200ge, 220ge or 240ge processor. They should be cheaper still and do that job fine enough for you.

Last edited:

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
if money is a issue you could probably save alittle on the psu if your in germany they sell be quiet cheap but with good quality. just check that the model you buy if you get it dont use the self Power test that makes the fan go full speed at boot some of their psus do that.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
The internal GPU gets it video memory from main memory so you really need to have enough there, and as fast as possible, to make it fly. For modern game titles, which a 3400Gb is certainly capable of playing at appropriate settings, 2x4Gb really isn't even enough, you should look at 2x8Gb if possible. And as fast as you can get so try for 3000 Mtps (1500 Mhz) speed if you can.

So simpler answer is yes, 2x4Gb is really necessary and actually inadequate as it is.
So long story short, integrated graphics age going to need DualChannel RAM...

So long story short, integrated graphics age going to need DualChannel RAM...
I wouldn't say it that way as you can operate on single channel, 1 DIMM. But it will be gimped. And depending how low the memory amount (say, 4Gb) even Windows will start to crawl as it will have to page in and out of virtual memory.

It's safer to say it's EXTREMELY desireable to provide dual channel (2 DIMM's, matched pair in a kit) at least 16 Gb total IF GOING TO PLAY 3D GAMES.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
TL/DR: 2x4Gb is really necessary and, actually inadequate, unless all you plan on running on the machine is mild web crawling and light desktop apps. There's an even cheaper processor if your use plans don't involve gaming.

The internal GPU gets it video memory from main memory so you really need to have enough there, and as fast as possible, to make it fly. Modern game titles, which a 3400Gb is certainly capable of playing at appropriate settings, really need at least 16Gb so 2x8Gb is what you should get if possible. And as fast as you can get so try for 3000 Mtps (1500 Mhz) speed if you can.

If all you plan on using this thing for is web crawling, email, mild desktop apps like word processing and spreadsheets and maybe limited image editing then you could get by on 2x4 Gb comfortably enough. And in which case you might find additional savings with an Athlon 200ge, 220ge or 240ge processor. They should be cheaper still and do that job fine enough for you.

No, it's basically just a machine that will be used for YouTube, and sometimes some minecraft or discord chatting. Maybe I can save some money on the PSU, but that's the cheapest modular PSU on the market here. And Im not sure if the Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX supports non-modular PSU's

if money is a issue you could probably save alittle on the psu...

But do be careful when looking for savings on PSU's... it's so easy to get a total crap unit that's a bonafide fire hazard.

But something I've had luck with at my local store is to look for open box units and factory re-certified units. I've gotten some very good Gold rated Corsair units for the same price as the garbage brands sitting one aisle over in unopen boxes. No problems at all.

Computer builders tend to be idiots and take perfectly good hardware back they didn't have the skill set to make work in a self-built system. They get sent back to mfr's shops, retested and shoveled back into a plain brown box that's sold at discount. Good deal, IMO.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
But do be careful when looking for savings on PSU's... it's so easy to get a total crap unit that's a bonafide fire hazard.

But something I've had luck with at my local store is to look for open box units and factory re-certified units. I've gotten some very good Gold rated Corsair units for the same price as the garbage brands sitting one aisle over in unopen boxes. No problems at all.

Computer builders tend to be idiots and take perfectly good hardware back they didn't have the skill set to make work in a self-built system. They get sent back to mfr's shops, retested and shoveled back into a plain brown box that's sold at discount. Good deal, IMO.
Ok, so I can go cheaper on the PSU. Tho, should I pick a modular or non-modular PSU?

Edit: modular or non-modular does not matter, as the official cooler master site just proved :)

Last edited:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (€130.39 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (€120.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€69.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: TCSunBow X3 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€89.59 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case (€44.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 300 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€42.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €498.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-21 15:52 CEST+0200

this is what I'd try. The single 1 TB SATA SSD should be adequate for several games

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (€130.39 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (€120.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€69.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: TCSunBow X3 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€89.59 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case (€44.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 300 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€42.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €498.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-21 15:52 CEST+0200

this is what I'd try. The single 1 TB SATA SSD should be adequate for several games
This is my pick.

Good quality psu but its cheap since it is low wattage. 300w is more than enough for an apu.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
No, it's basically just a machine that will be used for YouTube, and sometimes some minecraft or discord chatting. Maybe I can save some money on the PSU, but that's the cheapest modular PSU on the market here. And Im not sure if the Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX supports non-modular PSU's

Given these requirements - I guess my question would be: How demanding is Minecraft? Would one of the Athlon APUs be more than sufficient?

Is 16GB necessary for Minecraft? Would 8GB be sufficient? I'm wondering if something like The Micro Machine in my sig, albeit with more storage, would cover these needs easily.

mandeep57

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
The price for the 2400G is €119,05. Is the dual channel 2x4GB really nessecary? This makes it €12,- more expensive. Not a big fan of that..
go for dual channel Ram @ 3000mhz
AMD loves fast rams and it will give you Performance Boost too

Remember iGpu of Ryzen will use 2gb of Your Ram for Graphics...
Better go for 2x8gb 3000mhz or 3200mhz....

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would still go for the 2200g over the athlon due to the simmilar price.

I agree that 16gb is likely unneeded.

Hmm, just checked on PCPartPicker - Athlon 200GE is available for as little as about €46, whereas the 2200g is around €86 (assuming Germany, since the other PCPartpicker links refer to the German site). That's a pretty big gap if @gamerbrehdy doesn't actually need the extra processing and GPU power.

From personal experience, the 200GE and 8GB is fine for the non-gaming aspect and very light gaming. I just don't know what the demands of Minecraft and CS:GO are relative to this. That might be what makes going to a 2200G or 2400G necessary.

On the other hand, those work perfectly fine in the same ASRock A300W I have for The Micro Machine.

Please note, though, that the A300/A300W takes laptop RAM rather than desktop RAM.