[SOLVED] ryzen 3 socket type

I just read the the ryzen 3 is going to have a different socket set is there anyway to confirm this.... This is one key reason i refused to upgrade to ryzen just yet because i was waiting for the third gen to be released i had a feeling knowing my luck if if bought a cheap ryzen 2 build in prep for the third gen it would be a diffrent socket type

Solution
MSI got smart, they designed their B350 boards with higher tolerance mosfets from the beginning, just in case power designs went up. Other vendors especially on the budget 350's preferred to save a few ¢ per board and went with less beefy mosfets, so you'll probably see that while AMD said 'we support' it doesn't mean 'they support', only the 370X boards unilaterally have the beefier mosfets.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Same AM4 socket. There is some discussion around the 300 series boards not being able to accept Ryzen 3000. The 400 series boards should be okay.

This will be up to the motherboard manufacturers to certify their boards and release BIOS updates. MSI has already come out and said they won't be doing it for the 300 series.

I stand corrected, that didn't last long:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-ryzen-3000-backward-compatibility,39098.html

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
MSI got smart, they designed their B350 boards with higher tolerance mosfets from the beginning, just in case power designs went up. Other vendors especially on the budget 350's preferred to save a few ¢ per board and went with less beefy mosfets, so you'll probably see that while AMD said 'we support' it doesn't mean 'they support', only the 370X boards unilaterally have the beefier mosfets.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution
Thanls for the heads up