Question Ryzen 3000 Build Crashing when installing some programs and drivers. Works great other than that.

Dec 4, 2019
Overall, my system is working great, it runs games very well but my buddy and I are having the same problem:

When installing SPECIFIC programs or performing certain actions windows will start to lag with the mouse stuttering as the system gradually comes to a halt and restarts.
Because we're both having the same issue with the same programs and installs this leads me to believe it's a hardware problem?
Sometimes there is a BSOD for a split second.

For example, opening Device Manager then pressing the "Scan for hardware changes" button in the toolbar will cause the PC to lag/mousestutter then crash. However installing steam and running games will NOT crash the PC.

Other things that crash the PC include installing Logitech Gaming Software, and some of the motherboards drivers.
I've already fresh installed windows multiple times and the problem persists.

I'm going to fresh install windows onto an SSD instead of the NVMe M.2 and see if that helps.

I'm also concerned that if I ignore this, there will be more problems in the future.

Thanks for any help.

PC SPECS:
Ryzen 9 3900x
GTX 1070
x570 Gaming Edge Wifi
970 EVO NVMe M.2
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8gb
EVGA Super NOVA 750w
Corsair Hydro H100i
Graphics Driver Version: 441.41
Windows 10
AMD Chipset Drivers from AMD website

Overall, my system is working great, it runs games very well but my buddy and I are having the same problem:

When installing SPECIFIC programs or performing certain actions windows will start to lag with the mouse stuttering as the system gradually comes to a halt and restarts.
Because we're both having the same issue with the same programs and installs this leads me to believe it's a hardware problem?
Sometimes there is a BSOD for a split second.

For example, opening Device Manager then pressing the "Scan for hardware changes" button in the toolbar will cause the PC to lag/mousestutter then crash. However installing steam and running games will NOT crash the PC.

Other things that crash the PC include installing Logitech Gaming Software, and some of the motherboards drivers.
I've already fresh installed windows multiple times and the problem persists.

I'm going to fresh install windows onto an SSD instead of the NVMe M.2 and see if that helps.

I'm also concerned that if I ignore this, there will be more problems in the future.

Thanks for any help.

PC SPECS:
Ryzen 9 3900x
GTX 1070
x570 Gaming Edge Wifi
970 EVO NVMe M.2
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8gb
EVGA Super NOVA 750w
Corsair Hydro H100i
Graphics Driver Version: 441.41
Windows 10
AMD Chipset Drivers from AMD website
Have you tried the chipset drivers from MSI, each motherboard is different.

See if you can do anything that is problematic from Safe Mode. Follow either the 'from settings' or 'from log-in screen' https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode to boot into safe mode, then I recommend you try to get the MSI Chipset drivers as suggested above. From withing safe mode, uninstall the generic AMD chipset driver, then install the MSI one. See what happens.

If this, and a fresh install, do not work, it might be worth looking into doing a BIOS update. Find the relevant manual for your motherboard from MSI's website, and use the instructions to install the newest available BIOS for your motherboard, also downloadable from MSI.

Dec 4, 2019
See if you can do anything that is problematic from Safe Mode. Follow either the 'from settings' or 'from log-in screen' https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode to boot into safe mode, then I recommend you try to get the MSI Chipset drivers as suggested above. From withing safe mode, uninstall the generic AMD chipset driver, then install the MSI one. See what happens.

If this, and a fresh install, do not work, it might be worth looking into doing a BIOS update. Find the relevant manual for your motherboard from MSI's website, and use the instructions to install the newest available BIOS for your motherboard, also downloadable from MSI.
Hi, thank you for the suggestions.

I booted into safe mode, uninstalled the AMD chipset drivers (that I got from AMD) that were present and then tried to install the chipset drivers provided by MSI from their motherboard support page as you suggested.

Unfortunately, trying to install them - even in safe mode - caused the system to crash in the same manner as before; mouse stutters, then full freeze, then crash.

This time the BSOD lasted longer and I was able to catch the error it threw out:
"DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION"

I've also already tried 3-4 different bios versions, including the oldest, newest, and a couple others both 1.0.0.3 and 1.0.0.4.

I can make this crash happen on demand by opening the Device Manager and clicking the "Scan for hardware changes" in the toolbar. Once pressed, a window opens with the text "Scanning Plug and Play compliant hardware..." where it hangs and the crash then occurs.

This is a very strange issue. Thanks again for trying to help.

Hi, thank you for the suggestions.

I booted into safe mode, uninstalled the AMD chipset drivers (that I got from AMD) that were present and then tried to install the chipset drivers provided by MSI from their motherboard support page as you suggested.

Unfortunately, trying to install them - even in safe mode - caused the system to crash in the same manner as before; mouse stutters, then full freeze, then crash.

This time the BSOD lasted longer and I was able to catch the error it threw out:
"DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION"

I've also already tried 3-4 different bios versions, including the oldest, newest, and a couple others both 1.0.0.3 and 1.0.0.4.

I can make this crash happen on demand by opening the Device Manager and clicking the "Scan for hardware changes" in the toolbar. Once pressed, a window opens with the text "Scanning Plug and Play compliant hardware..." where it hangs and the crash then occurs.

This is a very strange issue. Thanks again for trying to help.
I’d just get a different motherboard