Question Ryzen 3000: NVMe on Mobo or expansion cards?

Tritous

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I'm looking at a new build based on a Ryzen 3800X and am trying to choose a mobo. One problem I have is cooling the NVMe slots and I'm looking at the option of using a proper PCIe expansion card rather than the build in slots.

I expect using a vertical slot will make cooling far easier, but I have a feeling that two of the M.2 slots are links to dedicated NVMe lanes supported by the processor rather than the chipset - and there may be a performance difference between these and using an expansion slot.

Does anyone know how this is managed in the new Ryzens? Are we better off ignoring the M.2 slots and getting an expansion card or do we integrate it all into the mobo slots?

popatim

Titan
Well unless you plan on using your GPU slot then you’ll be going thru the chipset anyways. If your board has 2 gpu slots then installing an m2 card into the 2nd slot will drop the first slot to x8 mode. This isn’t really a problem though.

Tritous

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Well unless you plan on using your GPU slot then you’ll be going thru the chipset anyways. If your board has 2 gpu slots then installing an m2 card into the 2nd slot will drop the first slot to x8 mode. This isn’t really a problem though.
To my knowledge this is not true for the ryzen 3000s. It is usually more true of the 3rd m2, although some mobos seem to share it with a set of SATA ports.

It also doesn't cover the question :)

popatim

Titan
Sorry to be obtuse, what i was referring to was that using the slot adapter in a non-GPU slot will having you going thru the chipset, which only has a pcie4 x4 connection back to the CPU for all devices connected to the chipset to share (Sata, USB, and non-gpu pcie slots) so unless you want to give up your x16 mode on your GPU then you might want to be researching cooling your M2 slots or which Motherbd's have integrated M2 cooling . I can't help with cooling M2 slots much.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS