[SOLVED] Ryzen 3000 or 9400F for Triple Monitor Gaming / Eyefinity?

Jul 10, 2019
Maybe between the i5 9400F, Ryzen 3600, 3600x, 3700x or?
does it matter?

GPU is the Vega 64 Nitro+
(OC'd) to around 1700 Mhz

Playing at near 4k? (60HZ / 60 FPs)

3x 24" Monitors / 5760x1200 (Landscape) or Portrait at 1920x3600

Solution
Wow. I didn't notice that. Specs show 4.4Ghz max boost for the 3700x and 4.5Ghz max boost for the 3800x.

Bit-tech review seems to indicate that an all core boost of about 4Ghz is what you can expect on both processors. This probably is affected by what motherboard you have though and may see changes in the future when further optimizations occur. Even so, I'd think the 3700x was the better choice since I can see raising the max frequency by 100mhz, even on an all core increase, reaching the extra 40w seen by the 3800x. Maybe though, given the number of cores and hyperthreads. Actually, that's probably accurate I guess.

Extremetech review seems to suggest that there is so much power draw on X570 that CPU comparisons on that chipset are...
3600x or 3700x would be a good idea, although, I have serious doubts that your Vega 64 can handle a 4k Eyefinity display at anything more than maybe medium settings. Possibly less than that.

Honestly, I think even a 2080TI would have trouble with more than high medium settings on anything remotely demanding.

Jul 10, 2019
Yea thats been the main problem ever since i started looking into Eyefinity / Nvidia Surround
Finding a GPU that can handle gaming at near 4k.

3x 1920x1200 monitors 60HZ/FPS (while staying above 60fps on High for most games)
but i'll give it a shot. Maybe the 3700X hmm

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe between the i5 9400F, Ryzen 3600, 3600x, 3700x or?
does it matter?
At that resolution, no, it won't really matter. Any of those CPUs are fine for 60 FPS gaming (resolution/number of displays has little to no direct impact on what FPS your CPU is capable of). You're going to be limited by your GPU the vast majority of the time anyway, assuming you're talking about AAA gaming at high-ish settings.

My personal preference among those if you're just using it for gaming would be he 3600/3600X.

Exactly. I agree wholeheartedly. That was kind of the point I was trying to make before.

I don't think however that the 9400F is a good choice, considering the benefits of any of these Ryzen CPUs, and given the possibility that you might, and probably WILL, ditch the idea of an eyefinity display at that resolution at some point, in which case the fact that you HAVE a more capable CPU, whichever one you choose, might be beneficial.

Also, if you have ANY plans to record, stream or simultaneously be doing ANY other kind of demanding multitasking, then those extra cores or hyperthreads on the Ryzen models might be of further benefit to you over only having the basic six cores on the 9400F.

Jul 10, 2019
I'm Only considering Max Settings at 5760x1200 / 1920x3600 for really old games. Everything else is whatever settings gets me to 60fps

If i do go down the streaming right, Which do you think is better for Streaming - 3700x or 3800x?

Yeah, there's a 100mhz difference between the two parts. I'm not sure why one or the other even exists. They should have simply made them all one or all the other, but I guess binning is the reason and maybe some wafers are unable to hit that extra 100mhz consistently and needed to be binned as lower end parts. Either will likely give you about the same performance, although, 100mhz is 100mhz. I don't think it's worth an extra 70 bucks though.

Wow. I didn't notice that. Specs show 4.4Ghz max boost for the 3700x and 4.5Ghz max boost for the 3800x.

Bit-tech review seems to indicate that an all core boost of about 4Ghz is what you can expect on both processors. This probably is affected by what motherboard you have though and may see changes in the future when further optimizations occur. Even so, I'd think the 3700x was the better choice since I can see raising the max frequency by 100mhz, even on an all core increase, reaching the extra 40w seen by the 3800x. Maybe though, given the number of cores and hyperthreads. Actually, that's probably accurate I guess.

Extremetech review seems to suggest that there is so much power draw on X570 that CPU comparisons on that chipset are skewed beyond comparison. What a drop the ball moment for a chipset that they want double the price for in most cases.

Solution