Status
Not open for further replies.

supermanfan51

Commendable
Dec 29, 2017
Hi all,
I am planning to get a major upgrade soon, for both GPU and CPU. For the CPU, I am still debating between either the new 5600x, or last generation's 3800x. Which is more worth it? I know the basics of cores and clock speed, but I haven't looked at CPUs in ages. I am using this PC for virtual school, streaming, gaming, etc.
Thank you!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
TBH this is more along the line of, do you want a computer that will play acceptably at your target resolution, or do you HAVE to have the newest greatest thing for the next few months (maybe)?

Far to say I am not tempted by the latter, but bang for buck resides in the former IMO. Too early to say it will happen this time, but each 'zen release has caused the prior model to go for bargain basement pricing.

supermanfan51

Commendable
Dec 29, 2017
TBH this is more along the line of, do you want a computer that will play acceptably at your target resolution, or do you HAVE to have the newest greatest thing for the next few months (maybe)?

Far to say I am not tempted by the latter, but bang for buck resides in the former IMO. Too early to say it will happen this time, but each 'zen release has caused the prior model to go for bargain basement pricing.
That was my thoughts, as I want something that will work well and work for a while (maybe up to 4+ years). Considering I have functioned using an i5-7400 for the past 3 years, I believe that the Ryzen 7 will for sure last me for a while. Also, is the new generation ryzen 7 worth considering at all?(as in, is the +150 dollars worth the performance difference?)

larsv8

Distinguished
New Ryzen looks to be a beast.

No reason to not go with new hardware assuming it is available and has a good price point.

5600x looks like a good buy, will handle streaming / gaming no problem.

A case for more cores / threads would be if are constantly rendering where time adds up. If not, you likely wont notice a difference between 5600 and 5800.

supermanfan51

Commendable
Dec 29, 2017
New Ryzen looks to be a beast.

No reason to not go with new hardware assuming it is available and has a good price point.

5600x looks like a good buy, will handle streaming / gaming no problem.

A case for more cores / threads would be if are constantly rendering where time adds up. If not, you likely wont notice a difference between 5600 and 5800.
Thanks for the info. On another note, what motherboard would work well with the Ryzen 5600x?

larsv8

Distinguished
Thanks for the info. On another note, what motherboard would work well with the Ryzen 5600x?

B550 works for most people, though might need a bios update.

The MSI tomahawk is popular. Check out Hardware unboxed youtube on the B550 round up. Really depends on what is important to you connectivity wise. Most choices are fine, I think there are only 1-2 that don't make sense at their price points. Just avoid those.

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The jury is still out till we see reviews on thermals,, power consumption and performance ,, and then theres bios updates and all that to deal with for the new chips ,,,, i mean from papaer what the rumors are saying are that ryzen 5000 series beats intel in everything, but as they say the proof is in the pudding.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I have a 3700x with PBO enabled (which performs as well as stock 3800x's) and it does everything I want it to do and does it well.
I play single player AAA games casually, I encode videos fairly regularly and I stream movies and TV shows from my PC to 2 1080p TV's via Jellyfin.

So for me the benefits of upgrading to a 5000 series CPU won't be justified yet.
But in a year or 2 I will almost certainly run a 5700x (if they release one) or a 5800x.

If you are building a completely new PC, I would wait for the 5000 series CPUs to get reviewed and see how they compare with a 3700x for price/performance before buying anything.

AvidEx

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
If you're gonna be building a new rig then better wait for reviews on the upcoming new processors then weigh the pros and cons with the older generation. Since you've mentioned that you still have a working pc right now, There is a good selection of B550 boards that has more features than some X570 boards. Lastly, I think some retailers will be pairing 5000 series processors with x570 boards that has some discounts so better wait for them if you want to save up too.

Pytheus

Prominent
Oct 28, 2020
From the benchmarks I've seen the 3000 series has better multi core performance while the 5000 series has far better single core. I would say 5000 series is for gamers, while 3000 series is best for productivity.

5600X has a chance to be crowned the gaming king CPU. Not because it's going to be the 'fastest' as it's up-stack and higher clocked brandmates will likely be even faster at gaming but because it will offer the best value for gaming if that's all that's important.

The only thing a 3800X will offer compared to that is more cores and that doesn't help much with gaming, making it only a serious consideration if you really need that in your work. That's also a big discriminator in favor of the up-stack Zen3 models but makes them more costly as a result.

I'd look at B550 boards and any of them will do as they're all likely to comfortably handle a 5600x VRM-wise. So look at features...I'd compare on M.2 sockets, SATA ports and USB ports primarily. Many have 2.5G LAN but that's not going to help in a home network; WiFi might be nice. If A-RGB matters to you then look for one that has it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.