[SOLVED] ryzen 3200g with motherboard

Apr 18, 2020
So im buying a budget pc and at first i wanted to build in on this motherboard ASRock B450M PRO4 AM4 AMD Promontory B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard but pc part picker is telling me that i might need to update the bios. ( Warning!Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Picasso CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions. )
so i came across 2 other potential mother board
  • GIGABYTE B450M DS3H AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
  • ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 AM4 AMD Promontory B450 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
now in the description of all these motherboards i see this message and its confusing me.
AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Picasso) support DDR4 2933/ 2667/ 2400/ 2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
does that mean it will be compatible straight out of the box?
thanks for any help you can offer

Solution
thanks for all the help, my friend told me that i could get the ryzen 3 2200g for the same price and wont need to update the bios.( is that worth it ?) cause the b450 max are a little bit more expansive.

also could i update the bios with my current FX-4100?

You cannot use the 3200G or 2200G with your current board. Your FX-4100 is a AM3+ socket and the 3200G/2200G is AM4. You will need a new board and like XxDarkMario20xX said just buy the 3200G.

At the moment where I live the 2200G is higher priced than the 3200G. No idea why.

3200G with a Tomahawk MAX. It's a little bit higher priced but that's what you should buy and it won't give you any issues whatsoever straight out of the box.
To use a 3200G Ryzen CPU on a B450 Board you need a BIOS update unless the B450 Board has the MAX in it's name or if the motherboard box says "Ryzen 3000 ready". Sometime it's a newer revision and the B450 Board BIos was updated. Computer shop where you buy your part can update the BIOS for you too but it's always an unknown. I saw Ryzen 3000 ready board that needed an BIOS update even if it says it didn't on the box.

If you buy a motherboard online I would recommend you buy a motherboard with the MAX in the title. Like the B450 Tomahawk MAX which support ryzen 3000 out of the box.

To use a 3200G Ryzen CPU on a B450 Board you normally need a BIOS update unless the B450 Board has the MAX in it's name or if the motherboard box says "Ryzen 3000 ready". Sometime it's a newer revision and the B450 Board BIos was updated. Computer shop where you buy your part can update the BIOS for you too but it's always an unknown. I saw Ryzen 3000 ready board that needed an BIOS update even if it says it didn't on the box.

If you buy a motherboard online I would recommend you buy a motherboard with the MAX in the title. Like the B450 Tomahawk MAX which support ryzen 3000 out of the box.

Going on part picker to see what MB suitable for him the max ones still say you need bios update picking out the most expensive ones and they dont need an bios update amd if he buys the max ones what are the chances of him getting the bios updated ones!

Apr 18, 2020
thanks for all the help, my friend told me that i could get the ryzen 3 2200g for the same price and wont need to update the bios.( is that worth it ?) cause the b450 max are a little bit more expansive.

Nope it not worth it if the 3rd gen is same price then get that because if you go with max someone said in this thread you dont need to do bios update and nope with FX-4100

You cannot use the 3200G or 2200G with your current board. Your FX-4100 is a AM3+ socket and the 3200G/2200G is AM4. You will need a new board and like XxDarkMario20xX said just buy the 3200G.

At the moment where I live the 2200G is higher priced than the 3200G. No idea why.

3200G with a Tomahawk MAX. It's a little bit higher priced but that's what you should buy and it won't give you any issues whatsoever straight out of the box.

Solution