[SOLVED] Ryzen 3400G, the cpu that is unsure about itself!?

Ive used these cpu's in a couple of builds but they have both been on a ''ryzen 3000 ready'' motherboard. This has always confused me though, exactly what generation are they? I mean,they are labelled and described as '3rd gen' processers but yet they use the Zen + architecture as opposed to the Zen 2 architecture of 3rd gen cpu's. So the question I want to ask is this.......Does anyone know with 100% certainty, will a 3400G work on a motherboard that only says ''ryzen 2000 ready'' without the need to update the BIOS? Or will it only work on a ''ryzen 3000 ready'' motherboard?.......................(also interesting to note that a 3400G will not work on a B550 motherboard.)

Solution
Really!? I didnt know that, typical.. It is strange though, i did check some motherboards like Tioym suggested and it's true,looks like they,(3400G's) can only run off the updated BIOS for the 3rd gen chips.
It boils down to technology used for chips. 1st gen, 14nm. 2nd gen 12nm and 3rd gen 7nm.
For very first APUs, A10/12, previous FM2 chip was used but modified for AM4 socket. They still work in 300 series chipsets.
Ive used these cpu's in a couple of builds but they have both been on a ''ryzen 3000 ready'' motherboard. This has always confused me though, exactly what generation are they? I mean,they are labelled and described as '3rd gen' processers but yet they use the Zen + architecture as opposed to the Zen 2 architecture of 3rd gen cpu's. So the question I want to ask is this.......Does anyone know with 100% certainty, will a 3400G work on a motherboard that only says ''ryzen 2000 ready'' without the need to update the BIOS? Or will it only work on a ''ryzen 3000 ready'' motherboard?.......................(also interesting to note that a 3400G will not work on a B550 motherboard.)
Can't give a definitive answer but just go into motherboard Support section and see what bios update the 3400G is supported from and there's your answer.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Really!? I didnt know that, typical.. It is strange though, i did check some motherboards like Tioym suggested and it's true,looks like they,(3400G's) can only run off the updated BIOS for the 3rd gen chips.
It boils down to technology used for chips. 1st gen, 14nm. 2nd gen 12nm and 3rd gen 7nm.
For very first APUs, A10/12, previous FM2 chip was used but modified for AM4 socket. They still work in 300 series chipsets.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution